Flashback

3 months after Kong, Amsterdam, Netherlands.  

"Hi? Is this Charlotte Wilson?" 

"Yeah, this is she? Can I help you?"

"Hi, Miss Wilson. We call from the Saint Louis Hospital, It's about your mother" 

There's a short pause. 

"What about my mother?" 

"We wanted to let you know that yesterday at 11 pm your mother passed away. We have only been able to reach you now" 

There's silence on the other end of the line. 

"Miss Wilson?" The lady asks, wondering if she's still there. 

"Um yeah. Thank you- for calling. I'll make sure to be there as fast as I can" She says goodbye curtly before hanging up the phone. 

At first, she does nothing. Then she slowly sinks into the floor, trying to hold back her tears. 

And then she lets the tears flow. Uncontrollable crying starts to follow, and she clutches her chest, looking around the room with blurry eyes. 

She hadn't even been able to say goodbye. She hadn't hugged her in so long. She hadn't heard her voice, her sweet voice in so long. 

The thought of never seeing her mother again made Charlotte start to cry harder. 

How could so many bad things happen to her all at once? Couldn't the world just give a break? 

She probably wouldn't even be able to go to her funeral, or visit her grave. The chances of getting caught by Monarch were too high and too far a risk for her brother and his family. 

She couldn't even stay in the same place too long before causing some sort of suspicion. 

She felt so empty. Hollow and void inside. She couldn't trust anyone, she couldn't make friends. She was alone. 

And strangely enough, she felt nothing. 

As much as she wanted to continue to cry, to empty out her emotions and to just feel for a second, she couldn't help but feel as if it was just a normal day. The normal routine of crying even though she couldn't really feel anything was something normal. 

She hadn't begun to notice that she treated every day as if someone had died, and now that someone actually had, she couldn't act any different. 

She lets out a shaky breath as she starts to calm down, wiping one of the final tears that runs down her cheeks. 

She sighs for a moment, pulling herself together and shaking it off before pulling herself off the floor and grabbing her things, not saying a word, as if in a trance. 

That would be the last time Charlotte would ever come close to letting herself feel something like she just had again. 

She picks up her things, not really noticing what she's doing, and then exits her apartment, locking the door behind her as she tries to move on with her life.