Chapter 17

a/n: Hey guys! It's me again!  I know I have been gone for a long time, but I'm back to finish the story! These next few chapters aren't going to be as frequent, but I am going to try my best and update to finish this story before the school year ends, if possible a lot earlier. So, here's another chapter!! It might not be the best in the world, but I had some free time and I wanted to be able to get this done as fast as possible, I'm sorry if you think that Charlotte has changed, if you think so, just comment down below what you think and I'll try to change it as much as I can!

___

"You okay?"

Charlotte jolts out of her thoughts, turning to look towards James. She takes a moment to process what he just said.

"Huh? Oh. Yeah, I'm fine" She replies after a moment, running a hand through her damp hair and sighing.

James frowns, looking around before back at her.

"You sure?" He questions after a moment.

Charlotte huffs, clearly annoyed with his questions.

"Yes, I'm sure. Could you bugger off please, and thank you" She tells him.

James rolls his eyes at her rude manner. He considered telling her off for a second, but then brushed it off. It would only make things worse and with everyone on the edge right now, the last thing that he needed was for her to abandon the mission and leave him to fend for himself. No. He could stand some of her rude remarks.

Charlotte sighs after a moment, looking down at the ground as she shakes her head.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to come off like that. It's just-I had an encounter at the showers and it didn't go well" She tells James, looking up at him and blocking out the sun off her face with her hand.

James frowns, turning to look at her.

"An encounter at the showers?" He repeats after a moment.

"Yeah. Caught some idiot soldier sneaking a peek. Let's just say he's going to be walking with a limp for a while" She continues to tell him, a small smile on her face.

James smiles, amused at her. He liked seeing this side of her. As rude as she was, it showed how she had worked her way to the top, and how she didn't really care about some soldier or the consequences of risking herself to save lives. Because if James knew anything about her, it was that she would risk her life for the good of the people. it was, after all, why she had joined the army in the first place.

She chuckles after a moment, looking around at the soldiers.

"Man, I sure missed this" She pauses for a second, turning to look back at James "I mean, there were those moments where I wished I could go home, but I loved being in the army. I mean. It's one big family. We take care of each other, stand up for each other when we can't." She says happily.

James smiles at the sight of her.

"I can agree with you on that. There's nothing better than being in the army with your friends" He tells her.

Charlotte nods, a smile on her face.

She turns to look at him, about to say something when she freezes on her tracks as she sees something behind James.

Her smile fades away and she takes in a breath.

James frowns at her sudden change in mood, his eyes trailing back to see what Charlotte is looking at.

"Oh my god..." He hears Charlotte mutter behind him.

IN the distance a T.V is showing the news. The Golden Gate Bridge stands there, surrounded in a dark storm of rain. Just a few miles away, Godzilla can't be seen.