Chapter 16

The first thing Charlotte hears is the loud whirring of the helicopter on her ears.

Then she starts to feel the wind on her face, fast and strong, whipping her hair around.

She frowns, shaking her head slightly before trying to open her eyes.

The light blinds her, and she snaps her eyes shut, before trying to open them again.

She sitting down on an army helicopter, flying 9,000 feet in the air.

The first thing she checks is her seatbelt, which thankfully is strapped tight.

Then she looks around, her face meeting Ford, and then James, who is sitting besides her.

"Finally" James tells her, turning to look at her with slight relief "Took you long enough"

Charlotte scoffs, running a hand though her muddy hair as she comes to her senses.

"Yeah. Try being underwater for 10 minutes. See if it goes well" She retorts hoarsely.

James smiles, shaking his head.

"Glad to see you back to you old self" He says.

Charlotte frowns, turning to look at him.

"When wasn't I myself?" She questions, confused.

James simply shakes his head, avoiding the questions.

Charlotte shakes her head, her eyes catching sight of the giant nuke on the helicopter besides them.

For a moment, the helicopter keeps going forward, but then they split into two ways, the nuke going right while their own helicopter goes left.

Charlotte turns to look at the soldier on her other side.

"Where are they taking it?" She questions, motioning to the nuke.

The soldier looks at the nuke and then back at Charlotte.

"20 miles off shore! The convergence point! We're gonna lure them there" The soldier yells out over the sound of the blades.

Charlotte nods, turning back and looking at the city beneath them.

"3 birds, one stone" The soldier calls out to her.

++

Well, that's it for today!! Hope you enjoyed that chapter. It has been a really busy month, but the next month is just as busy, so I'm not going to update until christmas!!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Just Kidding!!! (I'll stop now)

Oakland, California:
Tactial operations command

The helicopter lands with a thud on the ground beneath them, and Charlotte, James and Ford get off.

Charlotte stumbles for a moment, her legs giving out under her, but James catches her mid fall, offering her his support as they walk forward.

Charlotte turns to look at him, giving him a small smile, and then looks forward, watching as a paramedic runs their way.

"I got her from here" The medic tells James, hooking his arm over her shoulder and then leading her to a gurney

"Just sit right here, sit, sit" He tells Charlotte, indicating the place.

Charlotte nods and sits down, letting out a tired breath.

james and Ford are right behind them, watching as the medic fixes her up.

"Did you lose conciousness?" the medic questions over the sound of the army base camp.

Charlotte shrugs it off, looking around before turning back to the medic.

"I'm fine, really. I'm okay" She says, trying to push away the gauze the medic is holding to the open wound on her head.

"No, she's not fine" James pitches in from behind her.

Charlotte turns around sharply, hissing when a sharp pain erupts on her shoulder.

James sees this and smirks.

"See? I told you. You're not fine" he says knowingly.

Charlotte growls.

"For pete's sake, fuck off" She mumbles as she turns back to the medic.

The medic picks up some sissors and motions to Charlotte's vest.

"We're gonna need to take that off, just because you might have something on your shoulder, and we need to give it a check."

Charlotte nods, zipping the vest off to reveal her tank top.

Ford falls silent as he stares at her back and neck, the playful grin he was sporting fading off his face.

Deep brown scars run up her shoulders, circling up to her neck. A large bruise covers her left shoulder, but that seemed recent.

The scars looked painful, but it seemed as if they had been done a while ago.

Meanwhile, James stares at them, his mind bringing them back to the time when she had first gotten them.

"What happened?" Ford then questions quietly.

Charlotte shrugs with one shoulder, not turning to look back at them as the medic applies ointment to her bruise.

"A thing like the one they're trying to kill attacked me. It was much smaller, but it was still that kind of creature. You should ask James. He was there with me" Charlotte responds, almost monotony, as if she was a robot.

Ford turns to look at James, who is still staring at the scars.

It's then that Charlotte turns around, staring back at James.

"Right? You were there. Remember? Nothing happened to him though. He got out without a scratch" She retorts roughly, turning to Ford.

James nods, looking at Ford and clearing his throat.

"Yeah. Um, I was there. We were all there, several of us" He tells Ford.

Ford nods, looking between James, who looks nervous, and Charlotte, who is digging daggers at James.

"Anyways, it was an awful experience, so awful that after I left, the stitches opened up and I was a week in the hospital, trying to make sure they didn't get infected" She tells herself, turning back to the medic.

"Are you done?" She questions roughly.

The medic nods.

"Yeah. We're done" He mutters under his breath, grabbing his case and leaving her alone with the remaining two.

Charlotte takes in a breath and stands up, turning around to face the two of them .

"Anyways. I'm going to go and take a bath. I feel disgusting with all this mud on me. I'll see you in a few" She tells them, completely brushing them off and walking away without another word.

The both of them stare at her, watching as she rounds a tent corner and disapears out of their sight.

It's then that Ford turns to look at james.

"Wow man. She's been through at lot" He mumbles.

James shakes his head, turning to look at Ford.

"You have no idea"