Chapter 23

"Where am I?" 

"What's going on?" 

He turns around the place, confused. 

He stands in front of a house, the sky blue, the birds chirping happily. 

It doesn't take him long to know that it's his dream home, the one he had thought about for so long. 

He walks up to the front porch, his gaze analyzing. 

His brow furrows when he hears sounds from the inside. 

"Hey, handsome. You're home early" A voice calls out from the inside, happiness on its tone.

James frowns, opening the front door. 

He walks forward, not saying anything as he examines the rooms. 

There are pictures. Pictures of him with... 

"James?" His head snaps around, coming in contact with a woman. 

She frowns, looking at his disturbed manner. She puts down the bowl in her hands and wipes them off on a towel. 

"Is everything alright? I thought you'd said that you need to go out, and I thought it was a good time to make ourselves an anniversary dinner" She smiles sweetly. "But are you okay?" She asks after a moment, scanning him. 

James nods distractedly, running a hand through his face. 

" Where am I?" He asks, his voice raspy. 

She laughs, confused.  

"What do you mean? You're home, in London" She responds, walking over to him. 

"Is everything alright?" she repeats, her tone worried as she rounds the table. 

"I don't-" He takes a step back, hesitating. 

"What happened?" he asks, turning back to her after a moment. 

she nudges her head to the side, her eyes saddening. 

"We beat the MUTOS, we came home, James" She starts, her accent standing out. 

"But, how? I-I was there two seconds ago, and now I'm here. How?" He explains, turning to look at the doorway. 

"James, you're really worrying me" she reaches out to touch his arm, but he pulls away, flinching. 

"James" her voice sounds farther away. 

"James" he turns to look at one of the images, his face staring back. Then he looks at Charlotte, who is kissing his cheek in the picture. 

"James" the voice sounds muffled now. 

He shakes his head, and then he snaps. 

He's not in the house anymore, he's back. 

The echo of gunfire in his ear, the screeches of the MUTO echoing. 

He shakes his head, disoriented. 

"James," Someone says softly. 

He turns to look in front of him, instantly relaxing as he realizes what had just happened. 

what had just happened though?

"good, you're back" Charlotte declares, grabbing him by the shoulders. 

"Thought I'd lost you for a second there" She gives him a small smile before turning back to the MUTO. 

"We need to disarm that warhead. Like now" She acknowledges, turning back to ford. 

James nods, gaining his past composure. 

"You get the boat started again. We need to get as far away from here as possible. I'll try to help Ford" He rushes, nodding to the cabin. 

Charlotte nods, not giving it a second thought as she rushes off. 

She grabs the controls, pushing the lever as fast as it can go. 

The boat doesn't advance. 

"come on, come on come on" She grumbles under her breath, trying to get it to start. 

"Charlotte!" A  warning shout comes from below. 

"Shut the fuck up!" She yells back, completely ignoring them. 

She curses, and then presses a button, going still as she tries to see if it works. 

It takes a moment, but the boat moves forward. 

Charlotte smiles, breathing out in relief as it lurches forward in the water. 

Her excitement dies down when the boat sputters to a stop again. 

She curses, banging on the controls. 

"Charlotte!" Someone whisper-shouts. 

Charlotte huffs, turning around to face the deck. 

"What the fuck do you-" She stops talking, her eyes going wide. 

The MUTO stands above them, it's red beady eyes staring back. 

She lets out a slow breath before pulling her gun from her holster. 

No one says anything, watching as it lowers it's head down on them. 

It was the third time that it happened, and Charlotte was getting used to it. 

She waits for a moment, and the MUTO growls, but then, there's a cracking sound, and the MUTO slumps forward, whimpering. 

Charlotte stops breathing, now knowing what is going on. 

Then she looks up, watching as Godzilla grabs the MUTO'S mouth forcefully, and then, just as last time, but 100 times better, he lurches a beam of power from his mouth and into the MUTO'S. 

The MUTO struggles for life, clawing at Godzilla, but its pleas are for nothing as the beam finally destroys the MUTO completely, separating its head from its body. 

The beam of light ceases and Charlotte rushes forward, suddenly exhausted. She grabs the railing, pulling herself to where James is. 

She lets out a tired breath, feeling disoriented and weak. 

Her knees buckle from under her, but before she can fall to the ground, a couple of strong arms grab her. 

"I got you, I got you," James tells her comfortingly, lowering her softly into the ground as Godzilla lets out the strongest roar she had ever heard. 

She watches weakly as the lights start to return around the city, illuminating Godzilla. 

Then she turns to look at James, the last surge of courage going over her. 

She looks at him and he looks back, a look of confusion crossing over his face. 

"What are you-" he gets cut off, charlotte's lips meeting his in a short but passionate kiss. 

Charlotte feels as if time slows down, fire spreads through her body, and she forgets about her tiredness or her wounds for a moment. 

She pulls back after a second, breathing as her heart goes 100 beats per second. 

"What was that for?" James whispers, staring at her. 

"I love you, and I don't want to keep waiting to tell you that" She declares weakly, offering him a soft smile. "And it's okay if you don't love me back I-" she gets cut off by his lips. 

"I love you too," He tells her, out of breath when he pulls back. 

the boat lurches forward, but the three of them are far too weak to be able to stop it. 

Charlotte's mind isn't thinking straight as she starts to fade into darkness, the last thing she sees being the image of Godzilla collapsing into the ground once again, and the flash of the bright light above her. 

And then darkness.