Chapter 6

"We shouldn't have come here," Charlotte says, bitterness on her tone as she shakes her head, her arms crossed over her chest.

She stands on a clearing, watching as the paramedics haul dead bodies into trucks. All of this reminds her of Kong.

James stands beside her, his arms crossed over his chest as he watches the aftermath the gigantic creature had left with a frown.

He sighs, looking at the ground

"But we are..." James finishes, shaking his head as well.

Charlotte sighs, her head turning to the side as she watches a woman run past her and to a man.

"Dr.Serizawa" The woman yells out, reaching a man in his late forties, who is looking at his surroundings.

Charlotte frowns at his name and hits James's arm, trying to gain his attention.

James's head snaps around to face her, a retort on the tip of his tongue, but he goes quiet when he sees the army men standing beside them, all looking at the Asian man.

"Glad to find you" An officer says, looking at the man, who Charlotte has come to know is Dr.Serizawa.

"I've been briefed on your work with Operation Monarch" The officer continues to say as he steps forward.

At his words, both James and Charlotte look at each other, their faces paling.

"Monarch" James repeats under his breath.

Charlotte scoffs, shaking her head.

"Why is it that every time something like this happens, Monarch is involved?" She questions bitterly as she motions around her.

James shakes his head slightly, his hands crossed over his chest as he stares around.

After a moment Charlotte sighs, looking at the floor.

"Come on. we have to get to Joe. He's injured and we promised we'd help him" She says, motioning for him to follow her.

"You're still in?" James asks, surprise lacing his tone as he walks besides her.

"Of course I'm in. I can't back away now can I? It would be like I knew the world was ending, and I did nothing to prevent it" She retorts , walking towards Joe and Ford.

__

Dr.Seritzawa looks at the officer, his face pale as he looks around, seeing the dead bodies being hauled off in ambulances.

It wasn't the first time this had happened. The same thing had happened two years ago. They'd gone into an island with more than 50 officers, and only 10 of them had come back.

Some of them had joined Monarch, while others had gone their own path. Serizawa could only guess what they were up to these days.

"We are now taking over this mission. Is there any other personnel you need?" the officer questions, making Serizawa snap out of his trance.

He looks around, his vision catching Charlotte, James and Ford as they stand besides Joe, who is on a gurney being loaded into an ambulance.

He watches as Charlotte offers a forced smile to Joe, and James nods at the words she's saying before Joe is fully loaded into the ambulance

He points at the four of them, turning to look back at the officer.

"Them"

__

Charlotte looks out the helicopter window as they fly through the deserted city.

She couldn't believe that she and James had actually agreed to help Monarch -again