Chapter 3: School Setup

Vale's Point of View

"Please respect my parent's things. You can use the fabric and sewing things, but don't knock anything over." I ordered Takumi and Leo.

"Fine." They sighed. I couldn't really blame them. They had to go to school. School is pretty bad.

"Hmm... We have to register some of you... Huh. I've never registered someone into a school. Well... I know how to register someone, but you'll need birth certificates... huh. To the government, you don't exist. Ugh, it costs money to get birth certificates. Hmm..." I tried to decide what to do. "Oh no... We need proof of guardianship or custody... I could maybe bypass that rule a bit easier... After all, I can forge my parent's signatures..." They all looked at me weird.

"Forge your parent's signatures? Birth certificates? MONEY? You're going to waste MONEY just to get us into school?" Takumi asked.

"Yes, it's the law. You have to go to school. Well, I could have you do homeschooling, but I'll be at school, so no one can home school you. This is so complicated!" I yelled out of frustration. "Sorry, about that. Namir, what do you think I should do?"

"I don't know." He shrugged, which was no help at all.

"We also need proof of residency... and we need to probably get you guys vaccinated. Common application forms... Emergency contact forms... That seems like that's about it." I sighed. "Ugh, if only I could bypass all of these stupid rules... There aren't TOO many of you who need to go to school... Oh who am I kidding? This will take FOREVER!" I slammed my head on a table nearby.

"Well, if you could just explain this better to me, Sarah B., and Sarah G., this could be easier. We could help you." Namir smiled.

"Umm, hate to break it to you, we don't LIVE in your world. What do you learn?" Takumi asked.

"Well, we learn, math, science, history, language arts, and physical education. You can choose two different electives. There are lots of electives to choose from. I do choir and photography. I also do choir after school because I'm part of a chorus. You can join different clubs too! I'm part of the theater club. School lasts from 8:30 am to 3:00 pm." I told them.

"That sounds WAYYYYYYYYY to long." Takumi complained. Sometimes I just think he's like a 3 year old, bratty kid.

"Well, there's an archery unit coming up." I shrugged. His eyes lit up.

"Okay, I'm in for any sort of training!" He pumped his fist into the air. I don't understand him. One moment he's whining, the next he's happy.

"But that's only if I'm able to actually get you into the school... hey! I just thought of something! I'll be back in a bit. DON'T BREAK ANYTHING!" I yelled. "Oh, Namir. Watch after them, will you? Thanks!" I ran away before he could say no. I ran through the town searching for Sarah G.'s house. Eventually, I found it. I rang the doorbell.

"Oh! Hi Vale!" Sarah G. opened the door and smiled. "What brings you here today?" I caught my breath and started to speak.

"Umm... I have some friends... and they-"

"Let me guess, you want me to ask my dad if you can register some kids at school without all the stuff that you need to do." Sarah G. guessed. Her dad had a high ranking in the government.

"Pretty much." I hoped she would say okay.

"Sure, but he doesn't have to say yes. Just bring the over to my house this Saturday. Well, Saturday is tomorrow, so bring them tomorrow. See you tomorrow." Sarah G. closed the door. I walked off. When I got back to my house, I started to pray that nothing was broken. I came inside, and there really was nothing broken. At the kitchen table, Takumi and Leo sat with totally fake smiles plastered on their faces.

"Okay,.. What did you two do this time?" I asked, because I knew something was up. Nobody else was in the room.

"Well... Leo and I started to fight so we took it outside as you said... " Takumi started. I sighed.

"And then... we kind of got too close to one of the lanterns..." Leo finished. I didn't even need to hear the rest, and I ran outside, Leo and Takumi following me. Everyone else was outside trying to all tell me at once what happened.

"So then Takumi hit Leo..." Hinoka yelled.

"But Leo punched..." Camilla yelled over her. I could barely make out any words that anyone was saying. I heard a few words.

"STOP!" I yelled. Everyone stopped and looked at me. "I'll be mad depending on which lantern is broken."

"Here." Oboro handed me a broken lantern. "It says Von, whoever that is. It's in pretty messy handwriting too."

"I'm going to fix this." I walked to my drawer full of art supplies. I held up a glue stick, since they were paper lanterns. I managed to fix it, but it looked sort of mangled. They messed it up pretty badly. Why did it have to be this lantern?

"What's so important about that lantern?" Leo asked.

"It... It doesn't concern you." I hung the lantern back up. I decided to not talk to Leo or Takumi. It was either I was talking to everyone or people besides them. I sent Namir home. First they break the photo, and then one of the most important lanterns? WHY DID THEY NEED TO ENTER MY LIFE?

"I think we messed up pretty badly." I heard Leo whisper to Takumi before dinner.

"Yeah, you messed up." I said to them. First words I've said to them in a while. Those two idiots don't know what they're doing.

"Damn. We're out of fruit. I'm going to quickly go shopping. Make sure THEY don't do ANYTHING bad." I glared at Takumi and Leo.

"All by yourself?" Oboro asked. "What happens if you run into another faceless? I saw more enter the portal than just that one."

"Well who cares?" I opened the door and left. I noticed Takumi following me.

"Hey. They wanted me to come with you. I mean, it'll be easier for you, because I won't cause as much trouble at your house." Takumi looked strained saying that. He obviously didn't want to admit he was trouble.

"Fine, just don't get in my way."

Thank you for reading!