23

Today I walked into school to find everyone abuzz. Students were loud and excited, teachers finally cracked a smile for the first time since the semester started, and the banners that had been hung for the soccer team were all but glowing with blue and yellow, our school colors.

It was the first soccer game of the season today, and that gave everyone something to look forward to after school. Greenwich High's soccer team was our pride and glory, a force so strong and unbeatable that I couldn't even remember the last time we lost a game.

After homeroom, everyone was ushered into the gym for the First Game pep rally. This was an annual tradition before the first game of the season every year. This was where all the team's players were presented and how school spirit was created. Despite the stupid high school tradition-ness of it, the pep rally really was successful in giving the school some, well, pep.

Addy and I sat in the front row of the indoor bleachers, two seats we'd been occupying since ninth grade when Jason and Lucas made the team. It was always such a surreal experience to watch them run out with their team, high off adrenaline and representing the school.

After a few opening remarks by the principal, it was time for the team to come out. Addy and I sat up in excitement, ready to cheer Lucas and Jason on until we lost our voices.

The beating of drums began, and the coach's voice boomed through the speakers as he introduced each athlete. Addy and I stood and cheered for them all, but when Brad was announced I sat back down and stayed silent until the next player came out.

When we finally heard Lucas's name get called, I screamed so loud Addy plugged her ears, laughing at my enthusiasm.

"Go Lucas!" I yelled. "Lead us to victory!"

Watching Lucas run out onto the gym was always my favorite time in the rally. Though he'd always had a commanding presence, he was on the quiet end and often kept to himself. He never let himself go, except in this moment.

He was shirtless, his muscles flexing as he ran. He had blue and yellow tribal stripes on his cheekbones and his chest. He ran with power and exuded an aura that changed the energy in the gym.

"Wow," I heard a girl behind me say. "Look at him."

I had to agree.

I already knew Jason was next - he always came right after Lucas, the last one from the team to come out. So when Lucas made it to the other end and took his place next to Brad, the cheers weren't the only thing that told me Jason had arrived.

Jason had a completely different energy than Lucas did. Where Lucas was silently dominating, Jason was fun and loud. Upon his entrance, the drums stopped and the music changed. Suddenly, "Pony" by Ginuwine from Magic Mike started playing, and a fully clothed Jason started slowly ripping off his soccer uniform.

The crowd went wild and the teachers went quiet with horror. He was able to successfully get his shirt off, but when he went for the shorts, the teachers intervened.

I couldn't stop laughing at the scene in front of me. I was glad that Addy had her phone out, filming the scene while barely able to contain her laughter. The whole crowd was in hysterics as they watched Jason try to finish his striptease.

This was his effect on people. There wasn't a single person in the gym with a straight face. Jason possessed the rare power of happiness: he exuded it. He spread it. He lived in it.

After the players were out, it was time for the moment everyone looked forward to.

It was tradition that during the First Game pep rally, each player chose one person from the crowd to shoot a penalty shot. Most players chose their girlfriends or their buddies they wanted to embarass. Brad always chose Mrs. Gilmore, our 75 year old principal. Lucas always chose Addy, and Jason always chose whatever hot girl he was trying to get with at the time.

I had never been picked, and I liked it that way. Back in ninth grade, Jason asked me if I'd like it if he picked me, but I had given him a firm no. There was nothing I wanted to do less than embarass myself in front of the whole school.

Nothing out of the ordinary happened this time. Just like clockwork, one by one the players' friends shot their shots. When it was Lucas's turn, he came over to us as usual, then extended his hand to Addy. He helped her up and she took her shot. The crowd cheered when she scored, and Lucas gave her a big high five after.

Last up was Jason, and all the students were curious as to who he was going to choose. He was always the only variable choice, and the girl he chose usually got a nice boost of popularity when chosen by him. It was kind of like a stamp of approval by one of the most popular guys in the school.

I was just as curious as everyone else. Jason hadn't been telling us about his recent hookups, so I was just as clueless.

So when he came over in my direction, I looked around at who was around me that he could be into. He kept walking closer and closer, and all I could think about was that it had to be someone sitting right behind me.

When he came and stood right in front of me, my heart started beating. When he extended his hand towards me, I started sweating.

"Me?" I squeaked, looking up at him in fear.

"Yes, Leils. Come on," he grinned at me.

"Um, no thanks. Choose someone else."

"No. I choose you."

"J, I'm going to kill you. No."

"Leils, I'm going to kill you. Yes."

"I'm not doing it. Go choose some random hot girl."

"You're the random hot girl I want to choose. Stop being difficult."

Everyone around the gym began booing me. In that moment, I thought I was going to die of embarassment. I was pretty sure I was as red as a tomato at this point. People started chanting my name, and Jason's grin expanded.

Begrudgingly, I took Jason's hand and let him pull me up.

"I hate you so freaking much," I muttered to him under my breath.

"Watching you embarass yourself in front of everyone will undoubtedly be worth it," he responded.

I gave him the middle finger as he led me towards the ball. I took a deep breath and prepared myself, visualizing where in the goal net I wanted to score. I sucked at sports, but how bad did I have to suck to miss a penalty shot? Almost every other person who shot had scored today.

Taking one last calming breath, I charged at the ball and kicked it with everything I had. I stood back and watched, and for a split second I thought I actually had a chance of scoring.

But boy, was I wrong.

The ball hit the goal post and rebounded hard, going back towards the spectators. I knew things wouldn't end well, but things got even worse when the ball flew towards Mrs. Gilmore and hit her square in the face, knocking her down off her seat.

I ran towards her, apologies already spewing from my mouth.

"I'm so sorry, Mrs. Gilmore," I said. "That was an accident. Are you okay? I'm so sorry."

"It's fine, Leila," she said, the pain clear in her voice as she held her left eye. "I think I should go to the nurse's office."

My mortification increased exponentially when she got up and fell over. I didn't even know what was happening anymore, but all I knew was that Mrs. Gilmore had to be taken out on a stretcher.

When she was gone, the students erupted in applause. If I thought I was red before, I must've invented a whole new shade of red. Jason came over to me and threw his arm around my shoulder.

"You're welcome," he said. "I just made you the hero of the school."

"Jason Walker. I will literally never forgive you for that. This has been the single most embarassing moment in my entire life."

He turned me around and looked at me. His eyes went up and down my body, then landed on my face for a few moments longer than what was normal. He held my chin, then gave me his cute little half smirk.

"You're fucking adorable when you blush."