24

After school, throngs and throngs of students made their way to the soccer field, filling the lines of bleachers in an orderly manner almost unheard of for students our age.

Everyone had changed into school colours and jerseys to support the team. Addy and I had our t-shirts tied in an attempt to make our oversized jerseys flattering. It seemed to work, because Brad had passed us on the field and gave us an appreciative nod. "Looking very nice, ladies. Am I seeing you at my post-game party?"

"Of course," Addy said, batting her eyes at him while I stayed silent and looked away.

"Leila? Will you be there?" he pressed.

I shrugged. "What's it to you?"

"I'm only asking because I'm sure Lucas will want you to be there," he said.

"Well aren't you a great friend. Thanks for checking for him. We're going to go find seats, try not to let us lose tonight."

I stomped away and Addy followed me. We sat down in silence for a few minutes before she spoke up. "Is he still hitting on you?"

"Addy-"

"I'll take that as a yes, then."

I sighed. "Why are you still hooking up with him? I don't understand. He's a complete piece of shit."

"Do you want my honest, pathetic answer?"

"Yes."

"The fact that someone that hot wants to sleep with me makes me feel good about myself."

"Addy! Oh my god, you're so much hotter than him. You don't need him wanting you as validation."

"I know what I'm getting with him. Don't worry."

"Do you really know, though?"

She opened her mouth to answer, but we were cut off by the whistle marking the start of the game.

We both shut up and let the conversation go, focusing intently on the game. It went by quickly, our team scoring goal after goal and completely annihilating the opponents. In the end, we won 5-0, with Lucas having scored two goals, Jason scoring one, and Brad scoring the last two.

Addy and I ran down to the field right after it ended to congratulate the boys. I ran straight into Lucas's arms and he spun me around, laughing.

"You were amazing today, Lukey! Your goals were insane."

"Thanks, Leil. I was only playing well to impress you."

"You definitely did. Messi who?"

He laughed and let me go, then I felt a hand ruffle my hair.

"Where's my warm reception?" Jason asked.

"You don't get one," I said. "I'm still mad about the pep rally."

"Mrs. Gilmore is fine, Leils. Chill."

I crossed my arms. "I'm never going to forgive you."

"At least you looked hot hitting our elderly principal in the face," he joked.

"One more word and I'll punch you in the face, J."

"Shit, now I'm scared. It's definitely time to get drunk now.'

We started walking towards our cars, but I didn't miss how Lucas pulled Jason aside as we were walking. "No drugs, right?" I heard him say quietly to Jason.

"Of course, Luke. Don't worry about me."

"I'm always worried about you."

"You don't have to."