Chapter 3

Sarah

Ever since that awkward interaction with Elliot the other day, I've stayed in my apartment. I'm too embarrassed to go anywhere else.
I know I'm going to have to go outside, like, NOW, but for some reason my brain forgot how to function my legs. I can't even make myself go get the mail!
Of all of the times for my brain to stop telling my legs to move, why does it have to be now? I need to go get groceries! I have a job! The mailbox is going to pile up with mail and then...
And with that, I'm off the couch and out the door, running down the stairs to the ground floor and opening my mailbox, which is surprisingly empty.
That's weird.
It's Tuesday. I normally have the usual junk mail, but my mailbox is completely empty. Scratching my head, I turn around to go back to my apartment when I accidentally bump into someone.
"Oh, sorry," I quickly apologize, looking up at the person I bumped into, when I'm met with a familiar set of blue eyes.
Elliot.
"Oh, Elliot." Embarrassment strangles me and I can barely get the words out. I feel my cheeks begin to flush as I walk around him.
He doesn't seem to notice the exchange -the second one we've ever had- since he doesn't make a move to try to say anything else. Of course. I never expected him to talk or anything.
"No need to apologize," Elliot says, looking back at me. "I just wasn't watching where I was going."
I turn to look back at him, a small grin on my face. "I didn't hurt you or anything?"
He shrugs. "I think I'm okay."
A long, awkward pause.
"Well, I guess I'll see you later then," I say, immediately regretting it.
His lips twitch again, so I take that as a smile. "I guess."
Then he leaves, silent like a whisper in the wind.