Chapter 21

Sarah

I jump on my laptop and begin a search for Darlene Alderson.
I know, this is not good, but I have to know. Curiosity killed the cat, they say.
I look over at him, sleeping peacefully on the couch, and begin my search.
Much like him, there's not really much to look for. She has no Facebook, no social network, nothing. Everything is completely clean. However, I find an article that also came up while I was searching for Elliot: The Washington Township scandal.
Confused as to why this would pop up while I searched for both of them, I click the article and begin to read.
It's a casualty list.
On the list are a lot of names that I don't know at all, but my eyes stop on one.
Edward Alderson.
I begin my search and find an obituary for Edward Alderson and find that he passed away from leukemia.
He was survived by his son Elliot and his daughter Darlene.
I gasp, tears filling my eyes.
I look over at Elliot still sleeping on the couch and feel a tear slide down my face.
     I reach over and gently take his hand in mine, holding it and feeling the warmth of his body going through my hand and warming me up.
     I'm not sure why, but finding this information out about him makes me want to protect him even more.
     I love him, every little thing about him.
     Whether it be his problems, his good days, his bad days, every day in between, I want to be there for him.
     "Sarah?" I hear him mumble.
     I look down and see his eyes are slightly open, almost in a delirious state.
     "What?" I whisper to him.
     He pulls me close to him, so I lean towards him.
     He smiles at me, clearly half asleep, and leans forward and kisses me. "I like you, Sarah."
     I smile, my eyes wet with tears. "I like you too, Elliot. Go back to sleep."
     He follows my request and is asleep in the next few seconds. I gently kiss his forehead and smile at him.
     "I promise you, Elliot Alderson, I'm not going to let anything happen to you. I love you more than you will ever know or ever care to know, but that doesn't mean that I don't care for you. I promise you, with everything in me, I will keep you safe."
     I bite my lip and hope he heard me.