Chapter 28

Elliot
I never wanted to bring Sarah into this place Darlene brought us to, but here we are.
Capture the Flag for hackers.
It's loud, there's people everywhere, and I can feel her pressing against my side.
I give her an apologetic look, but she gives me a quick smile, but I'm not reassured that there's nothing wrong at the moment. Darlene goes to find us a computer so I can access the backdoor to close it, ultimately stopping their plan.
Darlene reports that we can't get on, they're in the middle of the final round and it could take hours before we can get on to do the job. I don't have hours, I need to get on now.
"I could just win this for them," I say, walking over to a computer and laying out the exact details of what they need to do to win. When the guy lets me onto the computer, I sit down and feel Sarah's presence behind me. I look at her and can see the panic on her face as she gives me a small smile.
"Are you okay?" I ask her, looking at her with concern.
"Just hurry up so we can get out of here," she says. I notice Darlene in the corner looking like she's about to throw up.
"Are you okay?" I ask Darlene. Then I realize why she looks like this. "I see them, stay calm." I turn to the computer. "Are you having an attack?"
"Don't worry about it, I'll be fine, just get it done," she says in a rush and starts walking away. I feel Sarah's presence leave my side as well as she hurries to Darlene. So now, it's just me alone with my thoughts and the computer. It only takes me two minutes to beat the game and another twenty seconds to get into the backdoor.
I hear Darlene say my name when I give her a progress report: I shut the backdoor, now I just need to get the rest of the Dark Army's access-
The computer shuts off as I'm speaking. I turn and look to see Darlene and Sarah both with men in dark suits.
Crap. It's Dark Army.
Sarah looks at me with panic on her face, her eyes darting back and forth between me and Darlene.
Now I know I have to do something.
They tell me to stand and to go with them. I have no choice. I'm scared they'll do something to either of them. They tell us to go down a street and I start to follow them.
Darlene starts to protest but I tell her this is what I want to do. I start to walk when a man in a taxi tells us to get in because the men that were just talking to us weren't Dark Army, they were FBI.
I feel Sarah's hand in mine and I look down at her. She's looking at me with the widest eyes in the world and I feel bad for bringing her along, but this is what she wanted to do. I tried to tell her to stay, but she's a stubborn girl.
All three of us get in the back of the cab and begin to try to escape from the car that's following us and I feel Sarah crowd closer to me, almost to the point of discomfort, but I don't want to do anything that will hurt her feelings or push her away from me. So I just let her stay where she is and hope and pray we get out of here soon.