Chapter 10

Elliot

     Do you remember what happened?
     Crap. I blacked out.
     Where did Sarah go?
     Why can't I remember what happened?
     Where was I going? Why am I in the middle of a subway station?
     My phone buzzes in my pocket with a message from Darlene.
     "Where the hell are you?"
     Right. I was going to Darlene. I pull my hood over my head tightly and shove my hands into my pockets. I'll deal with my momentary memory loss later tonight when I get back and walk Flipper.
     I continue my walk to Coney Island from the subway station and think about the plans for the day. It's mainly just talking about what our next move is now that the hack has happened and EvilCorp is down.
     I reach the arcade building and stare at the facade. While this building used to be called "Fun Society", the U and N have fallen off of the word Fun, giving our hacker group the perfect name: fsociety.
     I feel a ghost of a smile cross my lips, disappearing as quickly as it appears. I enter the building to Darlene coming right at me.
     "Where the hell have you been? I've been texting you," she says.
     "I'm sorry," I say. "I, uh..." I trail off. I don't know what to say to her.
     She looks at me. "You what?"
     I look back at her. "Nothing." I shrug. "I'm here, aren't I?"
     She gives me a weird look, then shakes her head. "Elliot, when I text you, I need you to respond to me, got it?"
     I nod my head slowly. She means well, she really does.
     "Let's get to work," she says.
     I nod again and head for a computer. I'll worry about Sarah later. Right now, I have work to do.