Chapter 6

Elliot

     I light a cigarette as I start walking down the street, listening to the sound of the lighter touch the end of the cigarette and feel my lips curl into a half-smile. Something about that sound just makes me smile.
     I begin my walk to fsociety headquarters. It's really not that long of a walk if I go the normal way, but on nights when I feel like I'm being followed, I take the long way.
     Tonight is one of those nights.
     I'm not sure if it's the Men in Black I keep seeing or the FBI, but something tells me to not look over my shoulder, even though I feel paranoia creeping up on me, screaming at me to look.
     Curiosity consumes me and I sneak a cautious look over my shoulder and see no one of interest, no man in black, no FBI agents, nothing.
     As I turn, I catch a glimpse of a Converse sneaker. It's black, high top. Looks like it's been through a lot. There are scuff marks on it. I see bits of blue paint on it too. At first, I want to go investigate, but I know I have to keep going. Darlene is waiting for me. I reluctantly turn my eyes from the sneaker and return to the sidewalk in front of me towards the substation.
     Where have I seen that shoe before? I rattle my brain, trying to remember. I know it looks familiar, but maybe I just imagined it. I continue on my walk, the ever present feeling of being followed still catching up to me.
     I can't shake this feeling of being followed. I duck into a dark alley and hide behind a dumpster, watching for whatever it is that is following me.
     That's when, in passing, I see something.
     From the Converse, to the dark jeans, to the dark hoodie, I know I've seen this person before. I definitely recognize those Converse now.
     It's Sarah.
     But why is she following me?