9-1-1 (bughead)

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/12453630/1/I-m-Gonna-Need-a-Cold-Shower

"At this point I'd rather be looking for a needle in a hay stack."

"Jughead Jones, if you don't shut up and hold the ladder I will target your head in my fall."

"A weak tactic Betts, considering I have a hidden skill of catching falling maidens."

"Oh my god."

They had been at it for hours. Rummaging through every storage space of Riverdale High, searching for a rumored box of old Blue and Gold notebooks and unpublished articles from the early days of the school. Jughead had practically locked Betty in place before she pounced Mr. Weatherbee when he had come by their room to praise their work. Betty figured, it was really to try and bury the hatchet of guilt he seemed to carry towards Jughead after the incident with the Sheriff. Their principal despite his stiff demeanor truly seemed to care for the students of Riverdale. Her excitement for a possible physical document of Riverdale's dark history was sparked as soon as Weatherbee passingly mentioned that some old supplies of their office had been stored in one of the dust-filled closets of the school. Betty had been anxiously waiting for the day to end, so that she could begin the search.

"Mr. Svenson was nice enough to let us stay late to keep looking; we have to at least find something to repay him. Especially if he gets in trouble for us." Her voice straining as her fingers brushed the top shelf.

"They're definitely not going to fire the single, one hundred-man powered janitor of the school for staying overtime." Jughead bantered from below. She shot him a look only to see an ever present smirk plastering his face as both his hands steadied the legs of the ladder.

"Juggie," she whined "the sooner we find it, the sooner we can go meet Kevin and Ronnie at Pop's.

"Or... the sooner we give up, the sooner we can go meet Kev and Veronica at Pop's." he mimicked back.

Her eyes rolled. Though... the roll of her stomach at the thought of the meal that await them at the diner was making Betty reconsider her stance.

"Fine. Okay. You win. If it's not on this shelf we can throw in the towel for tonight." She sighed, moving a hand through a cob-web. "But Monday, Jughead Jones. You will be the ladder climbing Sherlock Holmes." She stretched up to bush her fingers along the edge of the box above her.

"Understood milady, though I may miss the simple job of being a Watching Watson,"

He was insufferable. She shot him another look as a heat blossomed around her nose.

"Jughead..."she began, ending another eye roll on him only this time she found his sultry smirk replaced with a pale look of horror.

"Betty! Watch out!"

With a quick whip of her ponytail she was facing the now teetering box, which her fingers had never released, as it began its fall off the shelf. The contents were spilling out and over her head before she could give an effort to avoid the incoming disaster. Her face was splattered in something wet and thick as the box fell into her chest. The added weight and now foreign blindness made her usual control falter and her hands shot up to wipe her eyes in a panic, leaving Betty floating away from the ladder.

She could have sworn she heard Jughead yelp as her feet tipped off the ladder. The thought was short lived as Betty was helplessly left to her blinded free fall. Her chest tightened as she steeled herself for the flat and painful impact.

Which never came.

Instead her back was met with a solid cushion that wrapped itself around her waist as its painful grunt cut into her ear. The relief settled in her despite the continuing momentum of the fall led them to the floor.