The map 1

"Klar!" Snorri exclaimed triumphantly, setting her quill pen in the inkwell. "I have finished the new map, Nicko!"

Nicko, who was lying on the floor taking inventory of their supplies, stood up and went over to the desk to inspect Snorri's work. Aided by candlelight, he looked back and forth between Aunt Ells's hand-drawn map and Snorri's, and let out a low whistle. "Wow. They're identical. Snorri, I never knew you could draw so well!"

Snorri blushed. "It is nothing. A worthy trader must be able to draw maps."

"And you're nothing short of a worthy trader," Nicko declared, patting Snorri's hand. "Now, which copy should we take, yours or Aunt Ells's?"

"Not mine," Snorri answered immediately. "Marcellus will become old and forgetful. He needs a map that he can remember is from us." To prove her point, Snorri picked up the pen again and wrote along the bottom of her copy, in her distinctly neat handwriting, For Marcellus, with thanks. From Nicko and Snorri.

Nicko nodded. "Makes sense. Besides, your copy is fresher and will last longer, so it won't crumble before—" his voice caught slightly, "—before Sep and Jen can get it."

Snorri flashed him a reassuring smile. "Do not worry. They will find us, I am sure." Then she stood up and surveyed the clutter scattered around the attic bedroom floor. "That is all of the supplies? Nothing is missing?"

"Nope!" Nicko told her proudly. "I've triple-checked everything off the lists, and it's all there."

"But it will all fit in our packs?"

Nicko hesitated. "Er, I'm not sure. Haven't tried."

Snorri looked at him, her azure eyes sparkling with humor. "Then we will try now."

Forty-five minutes (of folding, packing, groaning, unpacking, refolding, rearranging, and repacking) later, the clutter had been reduced to two obese backpacks that not even Nicko could lift, let alone carry. "Perhaps we wear the boots and not pack them?" Snorri suggested.

"You sure?" Nicko asked. "They are fur-lined, and it is the middle of summer."

"The boots are the heaviest, except for the cloaks," Snorri reasoned. "And I choose boots over a winter cloak."

"Touche." Nicko opened up the packs, pulled out the boots, then closed the packs and hefted one of them. "That's better," he agreed.

"And now the papers," Snorri added. She picked up her map and walked over to Nicko's bed, where he had strewn their lists, notes, and other miscellaneous scraps of paper. Putting the map on top, Snorri gathered it all into a neat stack, then pulled out a dark blue ribbon from her pocket and bound the papers together. "Så där! Now we shall have some sleep, and in the morning I will give these to Marcellus when we leave."

Nicko flopped back onto his now cleared bed. "And then we can bid old fusspot sayonara."

"That is not fair, Nicko," Snorri admonished. "Marcellus helped us much these past months. And we still must write to him on our journey."

"Yeah, yeah." Nicko rolled his eyes. He still held a grudge against the Alchemist for kidnapping Septimus. "I just can't wait to get back to our own Time. Been here way too long, I can feel all this Olde stuff going to my head."

"Mm," Snorri nodded as she blew out the candle. Then she crossed the room to her own bed and slipped under the covers. "Goodnight, Nicko," she whispered. "Dröm sött."

"You too," Nicko mumbled. Within moments the two soon-to-be travelers were fast asleep.

The language that snorrie speaks is Swedish which is where I come from. And yes I am from sweden i am a swedish.