Faction Before Love Chapter 1

Trinity opened the cupboards and pulled out a bowl. She poured some left over soup that she had made into it and set the bowl over a small fire in the chimney.

"How was work today?" Grams asked from her rocker.

Trinity smiled, "Pleasant. I helped with the pick ups today. Everything went smoothly."

Grams nodded, "That's nice. I always liked working in the fields better. Time to think out there in the wind and the grass."

You see, Gram hadn't been able to work in the Amity fields in ten years because she had had a stroke that paralyzed her from the waist down. Her daughter, Trinity's mother, had taken care of Gram until she had died of a deadly disease not long afterward. So the care taking fell to Trinity.

Of course she didn't mind. She loved Gram. The sixty-seven year old woman was all Trinity had left in the whole world. And she was the only one the old woman had.

Trinity took the bowl and gave it to Gram, "Now eat that and I'll go get you something to drink." She went to the kitchen and got down a cup.

"Hey."

Trinity turned and smiled at the handsome face inner window, "Hi, James."

James was her neighbor. The kindest boy she had ever met. There was no doubt that when the choosing ceremony came in two months he would stay in Amity. He could even possibly become faction leader. Him or the girl in her class named Joanna.

"How was your day?" James asked.

Trinity unlocked the back door so he could come in and sit, "Pleasant."

"Good." He nodded. He sat down at the small table and pulled a small paper bag from his coat pocket, "I brought you something."

Trinity walked over and waited as he undid the string that kept the bag closed. He reached his hand in and looked up at her, "Close your eyes."

Trinity giggled and did so.

"Hold out your hand."

Trinity held out her small but firm hand, palm up and James poured something into it. Then he closed her hand with his .

"Can I open my eyes?"

"Go ahead."

Trinity looked down and saw four small pieces of chocolate. The good kind that was only eaten on special occasions. "Thank you, James. Two for me and two for Grams." She looked up at him, "So what's the occasion?"

James smiled proudly, "I've been given a promotion."

"Really?"

"I am now working as a secretary for the faction leader. I'll start after the choosing ceremony. After school and everything."

"That's great news." Trinity smiled. "Go tell Grams. She told you that would happen."

"And I have her to thank." James said. "She's the one who told me to go for it."

Trinity watched him walk into the living room with mixed feelings. Everyone expected her and James to be together. They had always been friends and when they were eleven, he had given her her first kiss out in the fields. It was clear that he was going to stay in Amity, and Trinity had never considered leaving because of her grandmother so they were "destined" as some of her classmates had said. But she did not love him. She had tried. She had tried really hard. But no. She was kind like him yes, but she wanted more than this. He didn't.

She did not love him.

She never could.