Faction Before Love Chapter 12

Trinity took her seat and looked around. The Dauntless were the loudest in the room. Hooting and hollering and acting crazy. But where was Leon?

"Hey." Carmon sat down with her family. "Your grandmother couldn't be here?"

Trinity shook her head, "No. She's not strong enough to make it here and back to the house. But it's not like I'm not going to see her again." Those words had an unpleasant sting to them when they left her mouth.

"Hello. And welcome." A voice rose up above the nervous chatter in the room. "My name is Max." Said a Dauntless man, puffing out his chest with pride. "And today we are gathered to honor our history. When the world was dark and confused, our ancestors saw the light and divided us up into five factions. Abnegation."

The gray clothed people at the far side of the room nod their heads.

"Erudite."

The straight back men and women in blue smirked.

"Candor."

Trinity looked over and saw Lynna Beth high five another girl. Part of her wanted to thank Lynna Beth for giving her the chance to meet Leon. The other part wanted to smack her. That thought made Trinity's stomach hurt. Why had she hit. Leon?! She was Amity. She was supposed to stay kind no matter what.

But you're not really Amity, she told herself. You're Divergent.

"Dauntless!" Max's voice boomed.

The teens in black jumped up and pumped their fists in the air with a shout before sitting back down and clapping.

"And Amity."

Trinity looked down at her hands.

"We will call all of the kids who will be choosing today by their last names starting from Z." Max looked down at a piece of paper. "Kyle Zachary!"

Trinity watched as the Candor boy who had brought Leon to the party got up and walked down to the faction bowls. He didn't hesitate. He cut his hand and let his blood drip into the Candor bowl. Everyone clapped.

Trinity rubbed her eyes, "Why couldn't her choice be that simple. Know what you want. Decide. Choose. Be happy.

But life seems to always make sure happiness is out of the equation.

***

Leon waited anxiously. He tapped his fingers on his leg, he ran his hands through his hair a dozen times, he had to keep shaking his head to clear it.

"You are really nervous aren't you?" Natalie asked.

Leon turned to her with a fake smile, "Isn't everyone."

"Candor!" Max shouted.

Leon looked over and saw Lynna Beth wrap her bleeding hand and go sit back down.

"She wasn't." Natalie chuckled.

Leon looked over at her with a quizzical expression, "Do you know what you're going to do?"

Natalie took a deep breath before answering, "I do. It's not going to be easy."

Leon closed his eyes in an attempt to shut out the rest of the world. He jumped when Natalie took his hand and squeezed it. He opened his eyes and saw her stand up.

"Bye, Leon." She smiled.

His eyes widened. He knew she wouldn't be coming back o her seat with the Dauntless faction.

Natalie cut her hand and her blood dripped into the Abnegation bowl.

Leon, along with every other Dauntless member, let his mouth drop open.

"Uh...Abnegation!" Max called.

Natalie gave Leon one last grin before walking over to her new faction. A boy in Erudite blue who had also transferred gave her a nervous smile as she sat down beside him. Leon was shocked even more when he realized it was Andrew Prior. Leon must have been zoned out when Andrew transferred.

Then that name was called that made Leon's heart beat faster. He watched her stand and walk down to the faction bowls. She looked at each one.

Trinity turned just once and their eyes connected for a small second. That's why he had insisted on sitting in the front.

Leon wanted to run to her, and he might have but she turned back to the knife on the table. Cutting her hand, Trinity held her hand above the bowl of amity dirt and let her blood drip in. She didn't look at Leon as she went back to take her seat.

Leon sat silently fuming in his seat. He was mad at the factions. He was mad at Kyle and Lynna Beth for having them at the party. He was mad at Trinity for some reason. And he was mad at himself for letting her get away.

When his name was called, Leon marched up to the bowls, cut his hand and let his blood fall into the Dauntless coals. The sound of the a Dauntless cheers were nothing compared to the slamming of his heart against his rib cage. He sat back down knowing that his fate was now chosen.

Or so he thought.