Faction Before LoveChapter 5

Trinity followed Lynna Beth as she hurried towards the punch table.

"He brought a Dauntless?" Her friend asked in amazement.

Trinity laughed at her friend as they came to a stop. She was about to say hello when the Dauntless boy turned suddenly. They crashed into each other. Trinity gasped and grabbed his arm for balance which turned out to be a bad idea because it caused both of them to fall to the ground. The Dauntless landed on top of her.

"Ow." Trinity said a bit out of breath.

"Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry!" The Dauntless said quickly.

"It's okay." Trinity smiled.

"Are you hurt?"

"Having some trouble breathing." Trinity said giving him a push.

"Oh. Right." He said helping her to her feet.

"Smooth." Kyle smirked.

"Shut up." The Dauntless exhaled his words.

Trinity smiled, "Not exactly coordinated for a Dauntless."

The boy raised an eye brow, "Not exactly nice for an Amity."

Trinity gave him a look, "Touché."

For a moment, the two simply stood. They didn't talk or move, or breath it felt like. They simply looked into each other's eyes with complete fascination.

"Isn't that right, Trinity?" Lynna Beth asked.

"Hmm? What?" Trinity said is with a start.

"I was telling Kyle that you can dance better than any other Amity girl in the world." Lynna Beth went on, oblivious to the blush of her friend's cheeks.

"I didn't even know Amity danced." Kyle said fascinated.

"We are required to take dance lessons when we are twelve just so we can formally dance at balls. If it is something we enjoy, we can have classes once every two weeks as we get older."

"Impressive." The Dauntless boy mused.

Kyle slapped his friend on the shoulder, "My friend Leon here might surprise you with his dancing skills."

"You dance?" Trinity asked.

Leon shrugged, "A little."

"I have an idea!" Lynna Beth brightened suddenly. "Leon, ask Trinity to dance."

"What?" Leon's eyes got big and his cheeks flushed.

"Clearly, you two are to modest for your own good. Dance so we can see how good you are." She clasped her white gloved hands together and stuck out her bottom lip, "Please!"

Leon turned to Trinity and opened his mouth to speak but closed it again.

Trinity looked down at her feet and tried to conceal her blush. Maybe her mask was hiding it.

"May I have this dance?" Leon asked extending his hand.

Trinity looked up and their eyes met for the second time that night. Something inside of her melted and Trinity placed her hand in his.

As they walked away from their friends, the realization of what she was about to do hit Trinity right in the chest. She inhaled sharply but kept walking beside Leon.

"Are you okay?" He asked concerned.

"Yeah. It's just...I don't know what I'm doing."

"You said you could dance."

"No, I mean...I'm about to dance with a Dauntless."

"That actually has a nice ring to it." Leon said before coming to a stop and turning her towards him.

Trinity spun to face him and her hand landed on his shoulder as she readied her feet.

They nodded and began to move to the rhythm of the song. It had a faster beat so Leon twirled her out and back in before dipping her. Trinity leaned her head back and looked at Lynna Beth who winked and ran off.

What is she up to? Trinity wondered a bit scared.

The music stopped and Trinity straightened.

"What's going on?" Leon asked aloud.

The music began again but it was a different song. "She asked them to play a slow song." Trinity realized with growing horror.

"That's no problem." Leon said coolly.

Trinity gave him a look and he took a step back before bowing while extending a hand, "Will you do me the honor?"

Trinity giggled and curtsied, "It would be my pleasure, kind sir."

They both laughed as they stepped closer and positioned themselves correctly. Trinity's hand rested lightly in his and her other resting on s shoulder. Leon's strong hand was placed on her hip and he smiled down at her.

With a nod they other began to dance. It was magnificent. The way they were able to tell what the other was going to do next.

Leon spun her around and she gasped when she stopped and he pulled her against him. With a smile she took his hat from his head and placed it on her head as she spun once away from him.

"Haha." He said sarcastically. He hurried to her and took her hand then he pulled her close and they began to waltz.

"Quite impressive." Trinity complimented.

"Thanks." Leon said, taking the hat off her head and spinning away before putting it on.

Trinity, without even thinking, ran to him. Leon lifted her off the ground with ease and held her like a groom might carry his bride into their new home. He spun and placed his forehead against hers. Trinity smiled and closed her eyes as he came to a stop and set her back down.

Trinity turned away quickly and then turned back as Leon placed his hand on the small of her back and dipped her once more and the music ended.

The room erupted in applause.

Trinity bolted upright and backed away from Leon who's face was, she was sure, just as red as hers.

Everyone in the room had moved aside so that they could dance. They had been the only ones dancing for the last few minutes while a sea of people dressed in black and white had watched with wide eyes.

"Oh my gosh." She gasped.

Leon laughed and held out his hand again. She took it and they bowed dramatically which caused even more applause and whistling.