Faction Before Love Chapter 19

(What happened)

The last thing Leon remembered was going up to Trinity's front door when Rodger said that it had to be the right house. He had thought it was quite a coincidence that someone who protected Divergents lived with Trinity.
And when the door had opened and the tall, blond, Amity guy had looked them up and down, Leon had wanted to punch him.
"Does a Trinity live here?" Rodger had asked.
The Amity boy gave him a hard look, "Why?"
"Don't be hard on them, James." An elderly lady's voice had come from the inside of the house. "Please, let them in."
The boy, "James", had stepped aside and let them pass into the small home.
Trinity's grandmother resembled Trinity in many ways, Leon thought. Her short figure, her dark brown eyes, the way she looked at a person with faith. A person like that made you trust in mankind.
"I trust you're here because of my granddaughter's job in keeping Divergents safe." The old woman had smiled.
"She told you?" Rodger asked.
"Oh goodness no." She had shaken her head and laughed. "But I was in the same line of business back in the day."
Both Leon and Maria's mouths had dropped.
"Really?" Rodger chuckled.
The old woman became serious, "Wait. Has something happened to Trinity? Is she safe?"
"We came here to find her." Rodger explained perplexed.
James had turned a white, papery color which made Leon even more mad. What right did he have to be worried about Trinity? He couldn't love her more than Leon did. It wasn't possible. It wasn't!
Maria bit her lip, "Um..."
Trinity's grandmother took a deep breath, "We'll wait another hour and then call the authorities. Why don't you go get something to eat from the kitchen."
"I'd like to ask you a few questions if you don't mind." Rodger said. He motioned for Maria and Leon to get something to eat.
Leon hadn't realized how hungry he was until he entered the kitchen and the smell of freshly baked bread wafted to his nose.
"Wow." Maria sighed. She went to the table where a loaf had been sliced. "That smells amazing!"
Leon took a piece also, "Here we go." He took a bite and smiled, "Holy cow! This is almost as good as cake!"
Maria took a bit and sighed, "Oh my goodness." She took another bite.
Before Leon realized what he was doing, he had eaten three pieces. Then the room started to spin just a bit. "Whoa."
"What?" Maria chuckled.
"Everything looks so great." Leon said dreamily.
Maria giggled, "I know right!"
"I feel awesome!" Leon said as he staggered. He fell into a seat and then burst out laughing. Maria laughed harder and picked up another piece of bread.
James came in, "Are you two..." He stared at them with wide eyes. "Did you just eat that bread?"
"Duh." Leon laughed.
"You guys have been holding back on us." Maria took another bite.
"No! Stop!" James took the slice of bread from her.
"Hey!" Maria pouted.
"That's not nice." Leon shook a finger at James. "You should be nicer."
Maria giggled, "Yeah. Nicer."
Rodger walked in and, with one look, knew what had happened. "That bread has peace Syrum in it?"
"Yep." James' shoulders sagged.
Roger gritted a teeth, "Perfect." He went over and pulled Maria to her feet, "Come on."
"I don't want to." She said but didn't fight back.
Rodger huffed and picked her up and headed for the living room.
James turned to Leon, "I'm not carrying you."
Leon waved him off, "Oh I can make it." He stood and wobbled around.
James sighed and draped one of Leon's arms over his shoulder.
"You're sweet." Leon commented which got him a scoff in return. "Really. I bet that's why Trinity loves you." His voice was sad when he said this.
James walked over to the couch and set Leon down, "Trinity doesn't love me." He said.
Leon's face brightened, "Really? Ha! Yes, that's perfect." He sighed and leaned back against the back of the sofa.
After about half an hour, Maria finally started to go back to her normal self. But Leon couldn't quite get the peace syrum out of his system. And when Trinity had walked in, he had almost fallen over himself to get to her.
"Glad to see me?" He asked.
It was almost to good to be true! Trinity was here! She was safe! And she didn't love that James guy!
Life was perfect.