Faction Before Love Chapter 17

"I'm sorry again that you had to with is that." James said as he placed his mug in the sink.
Trinity acted sad, "It was so horrible, James. Owen wanting to run away, walking with him so far, and then him throwing himself in front of that train." She put her head in her hands, "It's just so awful."
James put a hand on her shoulder, "It was nice of you to walk with him like you did. Trying to convince him to stay."
"I figured it was the Amity thing to do." Trinity shrugged.
James leaned his head back into the living room, "Have a good day, ma'am." He called to Gran.
"You too, James." She called back.
"I'll walk you out." Trinity offered as she unlocked the back door of her home.
"Can't get enough of me, right?" James joked.
The two stepped out and Trinity laughed. "You are quite cocky, Mr. Faction leader secretary."
James smiled brightly, "All I need now is a person to share it with."
Trinity smiled, "Like who? Kate Winslow?"
James shuddered, "The one who's been on love with me since grade school? Absolutely not."
Trinity laughed again.
James leaned his head to the side, "Yu have such a beautiful laugh."
Trinity smiled but he had caught her off guard which made her completely vulnerable for what happened next. James put his hands on each side of her face and brought his lips to hers. Trinity was so stricken that she couldn't move. She shut her eyes tight and became as stiff as a board.
James pulled back.
Trinity stepped back quickly, "What are you doing?"
"Kissing you." James said innocently.
Trinity wanted to wipe her mouth but that might have been a little much. "But I don't want you to kiss me, James."
"Trinity you must know I have feelings for you. For years people have thought that we would end up together." James said as he stepped towards her.
Trinity stepped back again, "I'm sorry. But I think you should leave now." She turned and went back inside.
"Everything alright?" Gran called.
Trinity went to her grandmother's side and sat on the ground hard.
"Oh my." Gran frowned. "What's wrong, my darling?"
"James kissed me." Trinity answered more dazed than anything else.
"Ah." Was all Gran said. "Such a smart match, the two of you." She stroked her granddaughter's hair. "But what is a match when there is no love?"
Trinity looked up into Gran's eyes, "I will end up alone. Forever."
Gran laughed, "Tell me, Trinity. Why did you choose Amity?"
"To be with you." Trinity answered truthfully.
"But was that what you want?"
"I'm afraid that what I want is gone forever." Trinity sighed.
Gran was silent. Then, "What does your heart yearn for, my dear?"
Trinity was about to answer when a know on the door interrupted her. She stood and opened it to find April standing there. "Oh, hey. What are you..."
"Trinity, you have to leave!" April interrupted her. "Go to Dauntless and get the two Divergent initiates. There's word that they're about to be executed."
Trinity's chest tightened at the mention of Dauntless. She grabbed her coat that hung beside the door, "Okay, I need names."
"Maria and Leon."
Trinity froze.
"What's wrong?" April asked.
"Someone's name is Leon...who is a Divergent?"
"Yeah." April looked confused.
"Seriously?" Trinity almost yelled.
"Why?"
Trinity yanked on her jacket, "Come on. We need to hurry." She turned to Gran, "I'll explain everything when I get back. I promise." She had to leave before Gran could ask any questions.
The ran to the train tracks. It wasn't until they were riding in the train that April turned to her, "So..."
"It's nothing." Trinity said quickly.
"It's no wonder you didn't get Candor on you aptitude test. You can't lie at all." April smiled.
Trinity rolled her eyes, "Leon is...someone I used to know. That's all."
"Uh huh." April nodded. "And you had no romantic connection to him at all?"
Trinity was silent to long.
"Oh my goodness!" April gasped. "And Amity girl and a Dauntless boy! How romantic."
"No. It was a mistake." Trinity huffed. Before she could stop herself, Trinity had told April the whole story.
It didn't take long to get to the Dauntless compound. They walked quickly to where someone named Rodger was supposed to meet them.
"Okay, we only have to wait a little but we need to change." April pulled black clothes out of her bag.
Trinity went into a closet and prayed no one would come in on her as she changed. When she came back out, April was pacing.
"Where is he?"
"They're still not here?" Trinity asked worried.
"Hey, you two!" Someone yelled.
Trinity turned and smiled, "Yeah?"
"Are you an initiate?" The Dauntless woman asked irritated.
Trinity nodded slowly, "Yes. Why?"
"You're late." The woman grabbed Trinity's arm and began to pull her away.
April followed by blending into the crowd.
"Um...what exactly am I late for?" Trinity asked.
The woman scoffed and tightened her grip. They rounded a corner where a few teens sat with wide eyes and scared faces.
"We have a slacker here." The woman threw Trinity forward. "Put her in right now."
Another woman who was sitting in front of a computer screen got up and injected something into Trinity's neck. Then she put her in a small white room and shut the door.
Trinity felt her pulse quicken. What was happening? Where was she?
Then everything went dark.