Faction Before Love Chapter 2

"You ready?" Thomas asks.

"I was born ready!" Leon shouted over the sound of the speeding train. He braced himself and took a quick, deep breath before running towards the door. He clenched his fists as his feet left the edge of the platform. He was flying. Or at least that's what it felt like. The roof of the building got closer as the wind ran through his hair and made his coat fly out behind him. He hit the gravel of the roof nod tucked his feet in so that he rolled a couple of times before he was able to stop.

"Whoa." Thomas laughed.

Leon shook his head trying to clear it, "That's the farthest we've ever jumped."

"We're gonna put the other Dauntless-born to shame during training." Thomas said as he got to his feet.

Leon swallowed hard. Not because he was hurt, but because he was never going to leave Dauntless. He fit in okay, and anyone would think Dauntless soldier if they saw him. But it didn't feel right.

"You going in through the hole?" Thomas asked.

"Aren't you?" Leon asked with a smile as he climbed up onto the ledge of the roof. He turned back around to Thomas and saluted.

Thomas laughed and saluted him back.

Leon closed his eyes and held out his arms. Then he leaned back. "Oh yeah!" He shouted as he fell. This wasn't like jumping out of the train. This time, he was falling a lot farther and a lot faster. Then he hit the net. It stung a bit but the pain didn't last long. He rolled over so that Thomas could fall and climbed off. He looked up and saw a Dauntless soldier standing there with cocked eye brows. "Afternoon." Leon said.

The soldier cocked his head to the side, "You know you're not allowed to come in that way."

Leon looked at the net, "What way?"

Thomas hit the net and rolled off to stand by him, "How's it going?" He asked the soldier.

"You two are underage. Only certified Dauntless citizens are allowed to come in through the hole."

"We didn't come in that way." Leon said innocently.

The soldier gave him a look, "Oh really?"

"Yeah. My and my friend here were just thinking about how the Erudite would try to calculate how long the fall is. And besides. I know for a fact you're not dating the faction leader's daughter."

The soldier's face went white.

"Oh yeah. My brother told me. So like I was saying..."

The young soldier gulped, "No no. I understand. Just making fun of Erudite." He nodded to them both, "Have a nice day." Then he motioned them towards the door.

Leon and Thomas walked out and waited until they were out of earshot before they started laughing.

"That guy is dating the faction leader's daughter?" Thomas asked.

"Secretly." Leon nodded. "Troy used to works with him. Troy told me and I've been dying keeping my mouth shut about it."

Thomas slapped him on the back, "Let's see. You lied about how we got in. Not Candor. You used someone else's secret against them. Not Amity or Abnegation. Making fun of Erudite? You might as throw yourself in the chasm if they ever found out. You are truly Dauntless, my friend."

Leon smiled but he died a little inside. What would it be like to leave Dauntless? To create a new personality for himself. "I'll see you later." He said. Leon walked alone for a while until he got to the hallway of doors. His door was the fifth one on the left. When he opened the door four, small, smiling faces came to greet him.

"Hey, Leon." They said all at once.

"Hey, Georgie, Mica, Lily and Drew." The he called to the kitchen, "Hi mom!"

"Hey, where have you been? Trevor came by here and you were gone."

Leon froze. "Trevor came by? Why?"

Trevor was the man who was in charge of most Dauntless soldiers. He watched them train and decided where they went. What did he want with Leon?

His mom came into the room. She looked so worn. "He said he needed to talk to you about something important. He said to tell you to go to his office."

Leon looked at the clock, "It's probably to late now. I'll go first thing tomorrow."

His mother sighed, "You better hope he has something good to say. Trevor is not a very good man to keep waiting."

Leon picked up his youngest sister, Drew and carried her to the kitchen for dinner. The choosing ceremony was still two weeks away. What would Trevor want with him?