Faction Before Love Chapter 16

Leon fell back on his bed without worrying about being in his training clothes.
"You okay?" Maria laughed.
Leon closed his eyes, "I am exhausted!"
"I'm not." Lewis said from s bed.
"Is everything a competition with you?" Leon asked him.
"Yes." Lewis shrugged.
Leon turned over and tried to block out all sound. He finally felt his whole body relax when someone shook his shoulder.
"Get up!" Maria whispered harshly.
Leon razed his head and saw two Dauntless soldiers standing in the doorway.
"Why are they here?" He asked still half asleep.
"They're looking for you." Maria began to wring her hands.
The soldiers came over to him, "Is your name Leon?"
He nodded his head groggily.
"We need you to come with us. It's about your family."
That woke Leon up. He stood and put his boots on as he stumbled after the two soldiers out of the room. They said nothing as the marched to his mother's apartment. The whole way, Leon bit his nails. What was wrong? What was happening?
They reached the door and knocked.
"Come in." Said a male voice.
Leon followed them inside and his heart kept to his throat. His mother was sitting on the couch with the younger four. All of them wore fear on their faces.
The new Dauntless leader, Max was standing there. "Hello, Leon." He smiled.
"What's going on?" Leon demanded.
Max looked him up and down, "They tell me that you have six fears in the simulation, young man."
"Yes, sir." Leon answered, "Now tell me what's going on!"
"Leon." His mom chided.
Max walked closer, "Did you know that this year, there has been a record number of Divergents found?"
"Divergents?" Leon asked.
Max nodded, "Yes, we have kept that information on the down low. But I saw something on your aptitude test results that sparked my interest."
"Which was?" Leon asked.
"It says Dauntless. But there is a star beside it." Max said as he pulled out a few papers from his jacket.
Leon took the papers that he realized was the results for his aptitude test. "A mistake?" He asked.
Max smiled again, "We have people who des tribute the tests that know what to look for. Some Divergents fall through our fingers, but others," Max took the papers back, "Are reported."
Leon couldn't breathe. He didn't know what to do.
"What does that mean?" His mom asked.
"It means this boy," Max pointed to Leon, "is going to die."
Leo. Grabbed Max's arm and pulled him forward. He clenched his fist and connected it to Max's face.
The guards grabbed him.
There was a whistling sound and then both guards dropped to the ground.
Leon turned and for the second time, his heat stopped. "Dad?"
The ragged man in the doorway was holding a gun. It wasn't one that killed but it shot things that felt like bullets in your body.
"Take him, Rodger." Leon's mom demanded.
Leon's dad grabbed Leon's arm and put a package on the ground. "I'll get him to safety."
"Mom?" Leon asked.
"I love you, sweetie." She smiled. "I'll see you again."
Leon wanted to run to her like a small child and wrap his arms around her legs and not move. But he was being dragged out of the apartment.
"Come on!" Rodger said.
Leon ran beside him, "What are you doing here?"
"I protect Divergents." Rodger answered, "I'm here to bring you to safety."
Leon saw more Dauntless soldiers walking with Maria behind them. He stopped short, "Maria!"
She looked over.
"Come this way!" He screamed.
The soldiers tried to grab her but she broke a to a run.
Rodger pulled out his weapon and shot the soldiers in the chests.
Maria reached them and Leon took her hand and they continued to run.
"You're girlfriend?" Rodger asked.
"No." Leon scoffed. He turned to Maria, "That came out meaner than I intended."
Maria shook her head, "No problem. Just keep running!"
"Where are we going?" Leon asked.
"To Amity." Rodger answered.
"Why?" Leon asked as his heart fluttered.
"There's a person there who will help us. Just keep in the shadows. Come this way." He lead them outside and they ran for the train tracks.
._.
Leon jumped off the train along with Maria and Rodger. He fell to the ground and exhaled heavily.
"Get up." Rodger said. "We've got a little ways to go."
Leon stood, "Hey, good to see you too, dad. Oh wait, never mind."
Rodger huffed, "You've got a smart mouth."
Leon turned to him with flaming eyes.
"So where do we need to go?" Maria asked.
"We just have to find this girl who can get us to safety. Apparently, the system trusts her a lot." Rodger said as he began to walk.
Leon followed him. They went to the Amity houses and walked behind the buildings looking for...something.
A back door opened and they all ducted behind another house.
Leon watched with mouth agape as Trinity stepped out.
He wanted to run to her. He almost did but another guy stepped out behind her.
He said something and Trinity laughed.
Leon's cheeks burned.
Trinity turned to the guy and hugged him.
The tall, blond Amity boy pulled away just a bit and leaned down. And then he kissed her! He was kissing Trinity!
Leon turned away and gritted his teeth.
"Are they gone?" Maria asked.
Rodger peeked around the corner, "They look busy. Let's find a different way."
Leon wanted to punch him in the face.
"Come on." Rodger said as he went to the other side of the street.
"Let's go, Leon." Maria shook his arm.
Leon took a deep breath and followed them across the street.