Faction Before Love Chapter 8

Leon looked at himself in the mirror once more before heading out the door.

"Where are you going?" His mom asked.

"I left my jacket at the fence. Trevor said I could go and get it. Don't want someone to get it before I get there tomorrow."

"Hon, I need to ask you something."

Leon was really anxious to get to the fence. What if Trinity really did show up? "Sure, mom."

She took him to sit on the sofa and covered his hands with hers, "Leon, have you been thinking about the choosing ceremony?"

Her question caught him off guard, "Um...not really. I'm choosing Dauntless. No doubt. There's really not much to think about."

The hurt on her face caused Leon to gulp. For a few years, Leon had thought about changing factions. Dauntless was perfect for him of course, but the other factions seemed suitable too. But when Leon's brother had died five months ago, Leon had decided he couldn't leave his mom with the younger four. I couldn't abandon her like my dad did. Stupid, cheating, factionless jerk.

"Leon, I don't want you to stay here for me." His mom said sadly.

Leon stood and kissed his mom on the cheek, "Believe me. There is no other faction I want to be in." He have her hands one last squeeze before leaving.

He ran to the train tracks where he had to wait for ten minutes for a train to pass. Then it took him a few more minutes to get to the fence.

As he jumped off the train his thoughts traveled farther and father from his family responsibility and more and more towards Trinity. That's why he thought he might have been hallucinating when he saw her standing by the railing, staring at the fields.

"Hi." He said nervously.

Trinity jumped and turned around, "Oh! You scared me!"

"Not used to breaking the rules are you? How did you even get permission to come here?" Leon asked. He walked over to stand beside her.

"Forgot my jacket." She smiled holding up a red jacket.

Leon laughed and pointed to his jacket on a bench.

Trinity shrugged, "Great minds think alike." She turned to look at him with her dark brown eyes and shook her head, "Why did you ask me to come here?"

"The same reason you came." Leon responded. "I can't stop thinking about you. And working so close together is making me want to fall of the roof."

"What?" Trinity asked alarmed.

"There's a net underneath." Leon laughed. "We're not completely crazy."

"Some might disagree with that." Trinity said as she ruffled his hair.

Leon rolled his eyes and smirked, "Aren't you just a little smart aleck!"

Trinity shook her head, "Not usually. But something about you just makes me somewhat rebellious."

"Is that a good thing or a bad thing?" Leon asked.

Trinity smiled and Leon caught a hint of pink in her cheeks.

When she was silent, Leon took the opportunity to take the sight of her in. She looked so different and yet the same in her Amity clothes. It certainly wasn't as revealing as her other dress she had worn at the dance but it was her. That realization hurt something deep inside him. He couldn't explain it, but the thought that she was perfectly Amity made him realize they didn't have a...No! He wouldn't focus on that! Not now! Not with her! Leon decided that he had to keep speaking. "I have to be honest. I like your other dress better." Leon said with a wink.

Trinity looked down at her dark yellow work dress and smiled, "I don't think I could dance in this one."

"Want to bet?" Leon asked hopefully.

Trinity took a deep breath, "Leon..."

"Oh I get it." Leon smirked, "There are to many people here, right?"

As if for emphasis, a lone piece of paper blew by to show how completely alone they were.

"Come on, Amity girl. Dance with me." Leon held out his hand.

Trinity smiled brightly and took his hand and allowed herself to relax.

As they moved in perfect harmony, the world seemed to melt once again. Leon thought about how wonderful the feeling was.

Trinity rested her head against his shoulder, "Have you ever danced to heart music before?"

"Not before tonight." Leon said with a sigh.

They swayed back and forth just a bit longer before Trinity pulled away slowly, "I need to go."

"Come on." He pleaded.

Trinity placed a hand on his cheek, "Are you busy tomorrow?"

"Seriously?" Leon asked in disbelief. "You would come back tomorrow night?"

"I would."

Leon took her hand and kissed it, "Then know that I shall be counting down the seconds."

Trinity blushed and turned to leave, "Goodbye, Leon."

The Dauntless boy rode the train and walked back to his home in a dazed silence. When he finally reached his living room one of his sisters looked at him curiously, "Are you sick?"

Leon felt nauseous and stupid and happy and excited and a whole bunch of other things he couldn't explain. He simply turned to his sister with a huge grin, "I've never felt better."