Faction Before Love Chapter 15

Trinity wiped the sweat from her forehead. Working in the Amity fields was the second part of their initiation training. Finishing the list of good deeds was easy. She was almost done. James was ahead of her, of course, but she was almost done.
There were a few that weren't doing so well. For instances, the guy who was working beside her. Owen Brewer. He was doing so poorly that Trinity wondered if he knew what he was doing when he joined Amity.
Owen grabbed a tomato, looked at it, and threw it into a wheelbarrow.
Trinity gave him a sideways look, "Are you okay?"
Owen stood up suddenly, "Why are people so stupid?" He demanded.
Trinity stood up straight, her eyes widening.
Owen's mouth shut tight. "I mean. I'm good. And you?"
Trinity wiped her hands on her apron, "People can be really stupid some times."
Owen laughed and shook his head, "Sorry. Not quite Amity of me."
"No one can be nice all of the time." Trinity shrugged.
Owen looked over to where his twin, Oscar, was working hard and talking with a group of guys. "I'm just having trouble fitting in here." Owen admitted.
Trinity patted his shoulder, "Don't worry. You'll be okay."
Owen's eyes glassed over, "I sure hope so."
Trinity turned to him, "Are you alright? You look really pale."
Owen nodded, "It's just..." He looked at her and smiled, "Never mind. Let's get back to work."
That night, Trinity awoke with a horrible nightmare. She had been standing on the fence waiting for someone. And she knew who it was. Her knight in black had run up the stairs with a huge smile on his face. "Leon." She had sighed in relief.
Leon had taken a step forward but was suddenly pulled back by a group of Dauntless soldier.
Trinity had screamed for him but he had been taken away for good. She had startled herself awake.
That's when she heard footsteps running down the hall past her room.
Curious, she put on her shoes and snuck out quietly. She saw Owen and Oscar leaning against the wall out of breath.
"We'll make it." Oscar said.
Owen had a bag slung over his shoulder and his work boots on.
"Hey?" Trinity spoke softly. Even though her tone was low, both boys jumped. Trinity stepped closer, "Owen, where are you going?"
"Go back to sleep, Trinity." Oscar pleaded.
Trinity didn't look away from Owen, "I know Amity takes so getting used to but..."
"It's not Amity." Owen interrupted. "It's me."
"Owen." Oscar warned.
"No. She needs to know." Owen turned to Trinity, "You've been a good friend to me since I arrived, but I'm not safe here."
Trinity looked at him for a moment as things began to connect. Owen had been different. More different than the other transfers. He acted like...her. "You're Divergent too?"
"Too?" Owen and Oscar asked.
Trinity shut her mouth tight.
"You're Divergent too?" Owen's eyes lit up.
"Shut up." Oscar snapped.
"I'm going to the Abnegation compound." Owen said ignoring his twin. "There's a rumor that they have been hiding Divergents for years."
"Really?" Trinity asked.
"Come with me." Owen grabbed her hand. "You'll be safe."
Trinity shook her head, "I can't leave my grandmother. But I'll walk with you."
Oscar groaned, "Then let's hurry."
Trinity grabbed his arm, "No. You need to stay here."
"Excuse me?" Oscar's eyes widened.
"When they find out that Owen is missing, who do you think they will question? Go back to your room, Oscar. They trust me. So should you."
Oscar looked at his brother and the embraced for the last time.
Trinity gave Oscar a nod and she and Owen walked out.
~~~
They walked for about an hour in silence.
"So what factions did you get?" Owen asked finally.
Trinity smiled, "Amity, Abnegation and Dauntless."
"Three?" Owen asked amazed. "I only got two. Amity and Candor."
"And yet you came here?"
"This is where Oscar was going. I wanted to be safe."
Trinity saw the train track that formed a line between Amity and Abnegation. "Well, this is it." Trinity smiled.
"Hold it!" Shouted voices behind them.
Trinity whirled around and saw soldiers running towards them.
Owen pushed her away, "I told you, you can't change my mind!" He shouted.
Trinity cocked her head to the side.
"I don't belong anywhere! Go back!" Owen shouted. He gave her a sad look and ran towards the train tracks.
"Hey, stop!" One of the soldier yelled.
Trinity's heart stopped when the train appeared around the corner. "Owen!" She screamed. A soldier grabbed her before she could run after him.
Owen didn't stop.
"Hey!" The soldier yelled again.
Owen reached the tracks just as the train hit the exact place.
Trinity screamed and there was an agonizing yell.
The soldiers were silent.
Trinity sank to the ground.
"We're you trying to stop him?" One asked her.
Trinity knew Owen wouldn't want her to get in trouble. She nodded, "He'd been threatening to run away. I thought maybe if I walked with him and talked with him, he would change his mind." She broke down in tears.
Why was happening to her peaceful world?
~~~
Trinity handed a sack of flour to an Abnegation man.
"What can I do for you?" She asked the next man in line.
"Do you have any sacks of corn?"
Trinity looked around. "Let me go grab some. I'll be right back." She walked back yo the supply room and rounded three corners before she found the sacks of corn. She grabbed one and turned around but froze. The Abnegation man was standing right there. "Here you go." She said nervously.
The man shook his head, "You're the one who brought the boy to us, aren't you?"
Trinity shrugged, "I'm not sure what you're..."
"He wants me to tell you not to worry."
"Owen's alive?" Trinity gasped.
"The train got his left foot but other than that he's fine." The man nodded. "My name is Cory."
"Nice to meet you." Trinity nodded.
"I was curious, would you be willing to do it again?"
"Do...what again?" Trinity asked.
"Help deliver Divergents." Cory said. "When we find them, we'll ask you to bring them to us."
"Me?" Trinity chuckled. "I nearly got Owen killed."
"But...people trust you." Cory said. "At least that's what Owen said."
Trinity handed him the sack, "I'll think about it."
Cory nodded, "That's all I'm asking."
Trinity followed him out just as a loud shout came from the center of the street.
"What on earth?" Cory wondered aloud.
"Do you see this?" A soldier demanded. He held up a girl that was Trinity's age. "This is a face that threatens our system. This, is a Divergent!"
Trinity gasped along with the rest of the crowd.
The soldier threw the girl on the ground, "She wants to ruin our world. And those like her want us to abandon what we have known all of our lives!" He pulled out a gun and aimed at the girl's head, "Don't watch of you don't want to."
Some people turned away but others watched with their heads held high as the soldier pulled the trigger.
Trinity thought she was going to be sick.
Cory put a hand on her shoulder and shook his head, "I'm sorry."
Trinity stood stock still as Cory moved away from her. "I'll do it." She whispered. Then louder, "I'll do it."
Cory turned to her, "Really?"
Trinity nodded, "Just come and find me." She nodded. "I'll be waiting."

****************************************************************************************************************************************

Hey, wonderful readers. I am so sorry it took me forever. And that this chapter isn't that good. The next chapter will pick up speed and there will be a shocking incident that will change everything. Hope you will keep reading and voting. Thank you all so much and I hope you have a magical day.