Chapter One: Side Effects

The light was bright, burning my eyes and warming my skin. I closed my eyes, took a soft breath, and listened to the instruments that played loud behind me. The words flowed smooth and low, my lips trembled as the overwhelming emotions came through me. One of mom's top favorite song, Etta James- 'I'd Rather Be Blind'. Quite the emotional heart touching song that made me want to cry, but I held it in.

It's been a three weeks since the accident, since Antonio and Katherine died, and Maxine was taken by my evil half-sister. Although, I took down Vloydik, we were still defeated. The song ended on a strong note, not once did my voice crack from tears that made a trail down my cheeks. This was the second night I've stepped on this stage to sing, it helped me cope and I did make a promise to Antonio. 'Six spells, six nights, we have a deal?'

Instead of taking in the audience praise, I walked off the stage, not before sharing a wary smile. I closed myself in the dressing room, my back pressed against the gray painted door as I cried for the second time that night. It didn't take long to gather myself, carefully wiped the tears and running mascara off my face and reapplied my makeup. I poured a shot of vodka from the bar I've stolen, downed it to numb my body and dull the overwhelming feeling in my chest.

Just then, my phone buzzed. I immediately snatched it off the table and read the text slowly.

Francis: They found something, meet me at the shop after your section.

I released a shaky breath in relief. The past three weeks have been filled with high hopes and terrible let downs about Maxine. The four of us made tracking spells, stashed up all night to get a single glitch on the map, but Gavriila placed a heavy and strong cloaking spell upon Maxine's body; which made it very difficult for us to find her.

Instead, we have eyes and ears all over the U.S, mostly friends of Francis and Aunt May, a few are police officers Lucas knew from the academy. We even have eyes in Europe, of course, they're under a few spells; but we're desperate. I text back after pouring myself another shot, I needed to reduce the hope, it pains me every time we ended up short.

Jupiter: Any good news?

Francis: Its something...

It's something? Surely won't be good or bad, but it's a lead, so I'll take it. I went back out for part two of the night, Aunt emotional songs, towards the end I stored the sadness and went for upbeat and happiness. It was tough trying to put in a brace face, to smile and sound normal; especially when the band asked questions about Antonio. Johnny had to bring in a friend of his to play the piano, he was good as Antonio, but he was efficient.

"I'll see y'all tomorrow night." I voiced while placing the thick strap of my book bag upon my shoulder. The club was empty, just us and the bartender left to clean for the week. The guys stayed behind to have a drink and count their loot, we made over three hundred dollars; considering I've been missing for a while and the other female singer they brought in wasn't what they were looking for.

"Hey, Jupiter." Johnny's friend called out, I learned his name is Marcus. He took long strides to catch up with me before I climbed the stairs. Marcus is young, no older than thirty, tall, slim, and skin the color of dark chocolate with a perfect smile. Handsome, held the signature look of professionalism even in dark jeans and a button up, and he rocked the bald head look. "Do you need a ride home? It's late and you're a little-"

"It's fine." I gave him an assuring smile. "Besides, where I'm going is not that far from here. Have a good night." I gave him a small wave before continuing on, taking two at a time to escape his sense of chivalry.

The streets were dark, quiet, a cool breeze made me shiver and wrap my arms around my body. My eyes wandered down every alley, corner, and behind me for any suspicious people or things lurking. Finally, after practically holding my breath, I walked into Francis book shop. He was waiting behind the counter, an old map of the world upon the surface, the needle on a string pointing to one area. "Does this mean-"

"We didn't find her specifically." He interrupted, making sure my hopes were still low. Francis sighed heavily while eyeing the map, the needle was pointed to northern region of Africa, between Egypt and Libya. "I tracked her presence, Gavriila's aura. This can mean she's there now or was there a few days ago, either way, we're on her tail."

Once again, I sighed in relief and nod in understanding. "Thank you Francis. I know I'm saying this a lot, but without you we were really be broken."

Walking from behind the counter, he wrapped his arms around my shoulders, pulling me into his chest while burying her fingers into my hair as comfort. "We'll get through this dove." He whispered into my hair before placing a kiss upon my forehead. "Now, go home." Pulling away, Francis gently glide his thumb along my cheeks to get rid of the tears. I kissed his cheek before walking out the shop and down the street towards the place I've been spending most of my nights.

Waking up the steps, I came upon the flimsy door, keys jiggling in hand. However, before I could open it, the door swings open. Lucas stood in the threshold, restless, shirtless, a light smile upon his face and a spark of relief in his eyes once he landed eyes on me. I walked in, immediately kissing his lips before stripping out of my jacket and back pack.

"Francis found something." I voiced after grabbing a towel and washcloth from the closet, a shower will actually smooth my mind and body, watch away the day so I can start over again in the morning. "He followed Gavriila's aura, found out she took Maxine's body in between Egypt and Libya, either she's there now or was a few days ago. We're close to finding her, I can feel it."

Lucas managed to put on a brave smile, both of his hands caressed my cheeks before he kissed my lips slowly. "Come on, take your shower so you can lay next to me. I can't sleep without you in bed."

I kissed him again, smiling lightly at his statement. "At some point I would have to sleep at the manor again." I whispered to tease, but it pained me twice as much. "Aunt May would want all of Athena and I there, under her care."

After the first week and a half I stayed in the manor, comforting Athena, staying up all night with Aunt May to track Maxine, on top of that I had to force myself into the room- but couldn't sleep. After that week and a half, I came here, and I slept so peacefully by Lucas side.

I took a quick shower, making sure to get every crack and space before jumping out. I was laying beside him in ho time, under his protective hold and natural warmth. "Will this get better?" I asked, my voice soft and mixed in with the low humming of the air conditioning.

Lucas shifted behind me, his arms growing tighter around my waist and place a soft kiss upon my neck. "Eventually, it will. Now, we just have to get through this battle."

I took a deep breath and nod my head in understanding. "A light behind the storm."