Chapter Three: Kiss the Cook

I could still feel him, hear his heart beating fast, breathings rapid and shallow, lungs burning, as his eyes tried to look through the darkness. His skin wet and cold, feet stuck in a puddles and the sound of cars on the road piecing his ear drums. He was just running, but from what? The Pishtaco? There was no sign of anything, just darkness with the die pink neon sign above his head. He clasp the door and opened it to be surrounded by music and violet walls.

However, he didn't walk down the steps, only looked down the rabbit hole before walking away towards the brick wall. Where is he going?... the victim stood there, eyeing the brown bricks, he reached out to touch it- to only come up with air as his hand disappears amongst the surface.

"Shit." I gasped for air, while blinking my eyes to come back to reality. The sound of pounding on the door pulls me back, it was urgent and loud; forcing me onto my feet with an attitude. "Hold your horses, I'm coming!" I yelled, cashing the pounding to stop once I opened the door to see what was so urgent. My mood changed immediately, my lips tugged into a gently smile and my eyes sparkled. "Mister Chung."

The tall middle age man stood on the porch with a cane resting in his hand, he wore neat tailored navy blue suit, jet black hair slicked back with efficient gel, and he didn't look happy. His eyes narrowed on me, and the grip along his cane only tightened. "Miss Wallace." He spoke in a stern voice, one that reminded me of my middle school English teacher, Mister DuBios, a very stern old man that never liked me much. "May I come in?"

I had no other choice but to step aside, the guy was too intimidating to let down. Besides, I'm suppose to play a role as a loyal magic-less being. "What brings you, Mister Chung?" I closed the door, but didn't lock it, hoping he would make this meeting short.

He looked around the manor, taking in the scenery that he most definitely never bother to see for himself. "There's one thing about each community that no one can fix, they talk, a lot."

I immediately grew nervous, his eyes stared right through me, he knows of my little secrets; but I had so many I don't know which one he truly have over me. "What are these communities talking about, if I may ask?" I tried to put on a innocent smile, to look less guilty and more clueless.

Mister Chung didn't look convinced, his eyes only showed the truth of his anger, along with the deadly grip amongst his cane. "How were you able to channel your magic?"

"Channel my magic? I do not-"

"Don't play dumb with me child. I had to hear it from a bunch of felines that you can do magic. No one, I mean no one has ever broke out of my spell. How did you do it?" He steps close, his body hovered over mine, further sending his intimidation to the next level.

I stepped back and sighed heavily as the truth was already out. "Mister Chung, it's a long story, and I'm sure we both out on a tight schedule." I can smell the potatoes boiling on the stove, they were ready to be smashed. "But I have experienced myself a flight or fight mechanism that I needed multiple times during the past few months, which has eventually unlocked your spell." It was a straight lie, but it was also the partial truth. If I said a fallen angel has unlocked the spell, there were be a list of questions that would be even more difficult to explain.

"Your trial is not up, Miss Wallace. Your going against your probation."

"This trial has been running for over two months, Mister Chung. It seems we both aren't going along our obligations. If I may ask, gave you found the fellow that was apart of the attack yet, or does another young woman have to be potentially snatched in order for you and the council to care? Or is it just the fact I'm a Pine, and we all know the council does not care about us."