Chapter Seventeen: No One is 'Pure'

"It seems you succeeded." Mister Chung held a smirk upon his face, it was unusual and made him look like a regular jolly man than a egocentric prick I use to dislike. We sat in his study, the smell of cuban cigars and polished oak floats in the air, the site of his family photos layered in rows upon his desk made me question his true personality. The way he smiled with his wife and two sons, he held them close with pure love and trust; it made me smile but also shiver with a sense of guilt. "The lycan's got in touch, saying you were right about the infestation and they're handling the chicken farm."

I nod my head in delight, at least they're working on saving the state or even the southern region. "The vampires?"

"Well, of course they won't call until tonight, but they sent a text. They're pleased that the council is finally getting involved in all the community issues, we're certainly taking small steps into their trust. How is Nunez?"

I took in a deep breath and released slowly to push out the words. "Improving, but it seems she no longer wants to be apart of the council. She's going through the mental process of healing at the moment, it's best to give her more time to make a decision."

"For the meantime you'll still be in her chair... temporarily, of course."

"Right, of course."

"So, what's the status of Lilith?"

"At the moment, we found something to take her down. But we do not know her location. During this time we just have to wait until she sticks her foot out the door." At the moment my mind wasn't on the mother of all things evil, last night was starting to haunt me- my hands shook from the anxiety rattling my nerves, mind foggy with the memory of blue flames and blood, along with the screams of the hunters. It's different when you have to defend yourself, the fight or flight rule blocks your morals, but to willingly take a life out of vengeance- that's something a person can't come back from.

Balling with my fingers, I pushed the haunting memory down and focused on the lovely family photo. I imagine all the young witches, lycans, vampires and even shapeshifters who would of fallen under the hunter wrath. All the girls they tortured and raped just for the he'll of it, it covered my helpless sense of morals and cleared my mind.

The study doors open to reveal the rest of the council. I instantly sent Francis a smile, although we saw each other earlier when he stopped by to check on Madam Nunez. He returned the smile, but it was quick and small as he went into council mode; focused, serious and strict. I stood to my feet, there was only one chair and I didn't want to feel like a superior, however, Theodore flopped down on the cushion and sighed softly. I kept the urge of rolling my eyes and flipping over the furniture.

"Why is the half breed here?" He jabbed, which didn't do much. We all know I'm twice as powerful than him and most likely anyone else in this room, but Theo still acts like a douchebag because I can't do anything to him about it.

"This half breed just landed us trust that would of took years to get." Francis defended, his teeth gritting in irritation from Theo's ignorance.

"No need for arguments here, besides, Jupiter has earned her way in here and as Madam Nunez successor she is temporarily filling her spot."

"Oh and she's well, thanks for asking." I comment, mainly jabbing at Theo, considering he's the only one who hasn't asked of her yet.

"Other than Madam Nunez doing well, the other problems have been a success, the lycan community is currently handling the parasite epidemic, the vampires has gained back a few of their members, and most of the hunters are long gone; but let's not be naive here. There's more out there and now they're starting to move towards the city, so notify everyone; people must travel in twos or not at all. Try to have them do all their activities in the day, limit the late night parties. Got it?"