Chapter Twenty-Four: Sisterhood

The sky cloudy and gray as rain hits every inch of vulnerable surface, beating against the glass windows and door. It was soothing, a point of peace where I wanted to lay in bed all day with my husband, eat junk and watch meaningless television for the next five days; it seemed like the best way to go. Laying under the sheets, I took in Lucas warmth and fragrance, memorizing every strain of men's body wash and lingering warmth. "I wish we can stay in." I spoke freely, my voice muffled under the thick layers of blankets.

"We can't, well, I can't." I heard his large feet stomping on the hardwood, leaving from the bathroom and to the closet. I peaked at him from under the sheets, taking in his wet frame and fluffy towel securely wrapped around his waist. He looked stressed, not exactly what a newlywed should look like, although we have five more days left to save the world- doesn't mean the world actually stopped.
The shooting at the police station did not go unnoticed, now internal affairs are knocking on the door, waiting to question every cop that survived the horrid day.

I slide out of bed, the thin sheet covering my naked form as I sat on the edge. "Just tell the truth."

"What? Two demons puts half of the department in a trance because they were trying to kidnap my wife, that would surely put them at ease." He snatched a dark shirt from the hanger, letting the metal to fall from the force. "It's not my first rodeo with them."

"What do you mean?"

Lucas wiped himself dry before dressing, his movements slow and smooth as he bury himself in his boxers before covering his bare chest. A heavy sigh past his lips as they turned thin in disappointment. "The second year of being a cop, Hank and I were in the same squad car for a little while after his partner retired. The first two nights were fine, we patrolled the streets, look out for back alleys and corner stores. Then we got a call of a robbery in a three story apartment just around the corner, we went- young excited rookies that only gain petty crime action. We caught the guy, he was just a teenager- Carlos Harrison, only seventeen, full ride to NYU, had a mother that worked her ass off to send him off to New York."

He shoved each leg in the dark jeans, frustration was taking over him, along with anger. "Carlos ran as soon as seeing our car. Hank chased after him, I went to meet them on the other side of the alleyway they were running down. I waited, listened out, I've heard Carlos begging; Hank caught him but it wasn't exactly a catch and arrest. Hank shot the kid, right in the middle of the alley in cold blood. Later found out the kid didn't rob the place, he was leaving his girlfriend's apartment before her father came in."

Lucas shoved his fingers through his hair before sitting on the other side of the bed, placing old socks on his feet and then his heavy boots. "I had to lie to Internal Affairs, say I didn't hear or see anything; of course I saw and heard it all but that was before I knew Hank wasn't a friend. I'm not proud of it, I wished it was me who ran down that alley."

"That son of a bitch." I huffed in disbelief. Crawling to Lucas side, I wrapped my arms around his waist and kissed the back of his neck in comfort. "There's no need to lie now, don't mention demons if they're human but just say I was involved in something-"

Lucas pulled away, shaking his head in disagreement and swallowing the lump in his throat. I can feel the nerves rattling from frustration and fear. "Jupiter-"

"Lucas, this may be my morals and Sunday school hitting me in the face here, but lying will only make things worse. Even if the world is ending, it'll help your conscious."

"I'll figure it out, you're going to be fine here by yourself?"

I nod my head yes, even though I have more to say. "Yeah, I'll be fine."