24

Stephan kept walking. His back retreating farther and farther away from me. And I just followed him.

I knew I shouldn't, but my feet are being carried by him. Even though in a matter of seconds, he was able to build this wall up between us, I don't really care. Maybe he will get tired of me and let me go. God, I must sound so damn pathetic always talking about getting away. Even right now, I'm acting like some lost puppy following the first person I see, blindly trusting them not to lead me to my death. 

These thoughts kept running through my head, and I felt my eyes drift to the floor and getting lost in thought. Walking without looking, my head bumped dead on with a wall. Feeling extremely embarrassed, I looked up to find that I didn't run in a wall.

I ran into his fucking wall of a back. A wall of pure rock hard muscle, twitching from my head hitting it.

"Woah, watch out baby." Stephan said, a twinkle of amusement in his eyes. He kept his distance from me this time, just reaching out with his arms to steady me from falling backward. Dammit, Sarah! I silently cursed and mentally slapped myself in the face, my cheeks burning from embarrassment. My head is throbbing a bit from running directly into his back. Stephan just turned back to where he was going, and continued walking leaving me behind to catch up. Things were silent, while I continuously cursed myself in my head. Why do I have to be such a damn klutz? Just as I started to calm down, I heard Stephan mumble some incoherent, something about my rock hard head.

"Hey! My head isn't that hard! I was just not looking where I was going—" I felt the need to explain myself, randomly interjecting rather loudly after I heard Stephan mumble. He just chuckled, slowing down in pace to match mine. His sudden closeness scared me, as my steps started to slow down as well to keep a somewhat good distance from him. 

"I've been hit on the back a lot in my day, but your head definitely tops the list of most painful, darling." Stephan teased, turning to give me a quick wink. I knew he was trying to joke, but what he said is actually frightening. He has been hit in the back a lot? Stupid, of course, he has. He kills people for a living. He runs a fucking mafia. Of course, he has been hurt before. Why the fuck am I even feeling bad for him? It was probably all of his fault. He has done all of this to himself. He chose this life.

Mentally shutting my mouth, I kept walking behind him. I have no idea where we are going, passing hallway by hallway, going upstairs and walking through even more hallways and rooms. Eventually, Stephan stopped in front of two big doors, much like the ones that lead into his office. The doors all look so similar here, and I can already tell that escaping is going to be pretty difficult. Before opening the doors, Stephan turned around to face me. 

"Sarah, you need to stick by me, okay? And please no uprisings or attempts to run. Things will go a whole lot smoother if you just stay very close to me and not say anything, okay baby?" Stephan spoke in a no-nonsense tone, making my anxiety rise in the process. Oh God, where are we? Is he going to kill me? Is this where he finally unleashes his true beast on me? Or is it his men that want to kill me? I mean, technically Stephan did save me from those other guys who broke into my house, but maybe his men think I'm like his weakness or a way of getting to him? Fuck, Fuck, FUCK.  My whole body started to slowly shake, growing quickly as my mind raced with all of the different possibilities of Stephan's words. 

Turning back around, just before opening the door, Stephan reaches his hand back for mine, still facing forwards. I hesitated, my mind still racing with the thoughts of him killing me. But, I remember his look from earlier. When he joked with me. He kind of looked different. Like he seriously cared for me, and kind of— trustworthy.

I know I shouldn't be trusting him right now, but what other choice do I have? Plus, he said that I shouldn't cause any trouble, and I feel like if I don't grab his hand, he will be pissed off. Shaking off my running thoughts, I softy grab his hand back with my own. Wrapping his fingers in mine, he squeezed my hand, letting his warmth spread over mine. Taking a deep breath, Stephan opened both doors with his other hand. Standing behind him, Stephan starts to walk into the room. A wave of hushed whispers and complete silence filled the room. Looking from behind Stephan's arm, the room we were in was filled with men in dark suits. This room sort of reminded me of a lounge of some sort, men filling every corner, their black outfits seemed to darken the room. They are all serious and their attention is directly on Stephan. The pressure in the room was suffocating me, as I felt the piercing stare of people on me and my closeness to Stephan.

However, Stephan seemed quite calm. His breath even, and his hand still lightly holding mine, his fingers still intertwined with mine. He stood tall and looked across the room. I couldn't see his face, but I can imagine how threatening it looks like, for those that he looked at lowered their heads and were dead silent. Shit, this must be some sort of mafia, killing-people, scary-shit meeting.

Squeezing my hand again, Stephan crossed the room with very large and calm steps, me struggling to trail behind him. Walking right up to a black leather chair, Stephan sat down, pulling me down with him, my body awkwardly landing on his lap. My body went tense all over, as I tried to stand back up, but Stephan just wrapped his arms across my legs. One wrapped around my back, to my waist, while the other went across both of my thighs, bringing my butt closer to him. I was so uncomfortable, and I didn't know what to do with my hands. They kind of just awkwardly rested on my lap. Stephan's face was right against my ear, his breath moving little hairs on my neck. 

"Put your hand around my neck, baby." Stephan whispered closely in my ear, his Irish accent ringing out with his stern and deep voice. Feeling extremely anxious with everyone watching, I reluctantly wrapped my arms around his neck, my body shaking while doing so. My body was so close to him, his lips right against my cheek. 

"That's better, right baby?" He whispered again, my head shyly nodding in response. Giving my thigh a squeeze, Stephan pecked my cheek and then turns his head to face the hundreds of men in his room, all still staring at our awkward interactions.

"Listen up. I want no fucking bullshit right now. We have business to do." Stephan announced, a deadly smirk crossing his face.