29

As I quietly follow Stephan down the dark hallways and stairs, I realize just how big of a deal his mafia is. Just as we rounded a corner into a huge foyer, about ten big burly men in pitch black suits are stood by what seems to be an elevator door. Instinctively, I quietly move behind Stephan, using his towering figure to hide my small and pathetic one. Peeking out from behind him, I see a couple of men focusing down on small black handguns in their hands, strapping them in behind their suit jackets. I know I've seen them use guns before, flashbacks of that night in my old work's backroom flood back into my brain, the immense fear that I felt shivers over my body as they continue to load up their guns. Trevor is also standing by the door, a gun in his hand, but his outstretched hand leads to other conclusions. Freezing in my spot, I watch as Stephan easily grips the gun, checking its magazine like it's second nature. Without even looking back at me, Stephan lifts up his suit jacket and tucks the gun in his belt around his back. 

Turning back towards me, I see just how deadly these guys are

Turning back towards me, I see just how deadly these guys are. Even from this proximity, Stephan just looks like he is completely normal, besides being extremely attractive.  

"God, he really knows how to clean up..." I think, his sense of fashion really making my heart race, "If only he wasn't a fucking goddamn killer" I scream out in my head. To be honest, if I just saw him outside of work on the street, I would definitely be ogling him.

"Ready to go, babydoll?" Stephan smirks, holding out his right hand for me. Suddenly, I feel extremely self-conscious, knowing that I'm going to stick out like a sore-thumb walking next to all of these men, since I'm only dressed in jeans and a light sweater. Even if these clothes are more than I would usually be able to afford, I'm nothing compared to any of these guys, especially Stephan. Shrugging my long brown hair off of my shoulder, I walk right past Stephan's arm. I feel it resting right on the small of my back, but with all of these men around, I have nowhere to run. 

Getting on the elevator, only Trevor and two other men come along with us. The rest just wait outside, some start walking towards the staircase. The moment the doors shut, I feel Stephan's hand press down on my back, his head towering down next to my ear. He snuggles his head in close, brushing away some of my hair with his hand, his breath brushing past my baby hairs next to my ear.

"I'm sorry baby, but unfortunately we're not going to be going alone on our little date. I'm not risking anything happening to you, love," He lightly kisses my ear lobe, making me jerk my head slightly away from him, "Mmmm, but we will get to be alone later." He teases, making me angrily stare at him, in which he just cheekily winks back. 

"Goddamn, you're so fucking creepy" I quietly whisper, intending for no one but myself to hear. But, as stupid as that thought was, everyone in the elevator clearly heard it because the moment I said it, everyone's back physically tensed. Well, everyone except Stephan. He just chuckled and held me tighter on my back. He's so goddamn messed up, he probably took that as a fucking compliment...

Slowly, but surely, we made it down to the lobby from Stephan's towering fortress. I'm sure how many floors we had to pass to make it down here, but I have never been in an elevator for so damn long. I thought we were going to go on forever...

Walking out of the doors, we walk into an open and extravagant lobby. Stephan's dress shoes echo off the marble floors onto the glass windows. We walk past a high-standing rock wall with water flowing down into a small pool with bright coloured exotic fishes. From the soaring chandeliers, to the impeccably clean white marble desk, I'm dragged further into this completely alien world that Stephan lives in. The two ladies working at the front desk are standing with their hands behind their backs and are staring right at us. Stephan just walks right past them, eyes focused right ahead and his hand tightly dragging me behind him. More of his men are stood by the main entrance, two large glass doors that are far too unnecessary for actual people. But, God knows rich people need fucking huge ass doors.

Finally, back on solid ground, I feel my body release some pent up stress, making me realize how crazy I've been going up in Stephan's penthouse. I take in a nice deep breath, and relax my tensed shoulders. Who would've thought going outside would affect me so much. I didn't even realize that Stephan had let go of my hand, and I was actually walking in front of him, him quietly observing me from behind. Curiously looking behind my shoulder, I glance back at him. His mouth curves in a genuine smile, as his eyes glimmer in the sunlight. I quickly turn back around, and walk a little faster. I don't want to admit it, but he really does make my heart flutter. Even now...

Stephan and his men just quietly follow behind me, discussing something in hushed voices to each other. Stephan grabs out his phone and points something out to them, looking very serious and business-like. I just keep walking, truly enjoying being out in the city walking along the busy sidewalks. I'm not quite sure where I'm going, but I just let my feet take control. Just as I decided to turn a corner, I see in the very distance a large open park. I feel my heart pick up a bit, as my feet move a little faster. I've always loved the outdoors, and going to parks, even though my parents never took me as a child. I've just always enjoyed the tall trees and the almost secluded nature of it, far away from the loud and anxious city streets. 

Stepping onto the lush green grass, I'm submerged into a new atmosphere. I close my eyes and try to imagine a life without all of the pain and fear. My lips slowly curve into a smile, a content breath comes out of my mouth. A crisp breeze crosses my face, brushing some of my hairs across my cheek. Just as I was calming down, a familiar scent crosses my nose, making my heart quicken and my eyes instantly open. 

He just stares back at me. My breath gets caught in my throat when I see that his eyes look completely different. Instead of his usual dark onyx eyes, I'm faced with deep forest green eyes that completely reflect the ranging trees and lush grass.

He walks up to me, my feet instantly step back, but he swiftly catches me and wraps his arms around me. My snapback is muffled by his solid-built chest pressing against my cheek. At first, I'm extremely uncomfortable being crushed up against his rock hard body, but he slightly loosens his grip, allowing me to have a little more room to breathe comfortably. 

In his arms, I feel like I should be holding him back. There's something about him that is so convincing. So alluring. But, I leave my hands at my side, quietly enjoying his warmth against my face. 

Damn it, I need to get out quick before this gets worse.