47

Beep... beep... beep

I'm lost in my thoughts... The only thing that is keeping me from completely losing it is the constant reminder through each noise that we have made it. Stephan's tightly wrapped waist, his bloody hands now returned back to what they were before this all happened. Just seeing looking up at me reminds me that we made it, that I'm back with him... but the quiet, but persistent voice in my head ringing out a perpetual replay of the hell we have been through, and what we have yet to deal with. 

Like Trevor...

I tighten my fists at the memory of Trevor's lifeless body being torn and broken down into a bloody pile on the dark, damp cement. The feeling of helplessness and fear sinking back into my heart.

The click of the door drags me out of the swarm of intruding feelings. One tall and intimidating man enters the room, one of which I have no recollection of meeting. His messy dark black hair reminds me of Stephans, but his whole presence exerts a different feeling. From his focused and piercing eyes, to his stern eyebrows, to the way he stands, this man gives off a feeling of a ruffian, but also someone who is professional and mature. Unlike Mr. bossy boots in the hospital bed.

"Aiken— Thank you for covering for me back at the base," Stephan earnestly says, a slight pout forming on his lips as he speaks, "I can't believe that motherfucker got me in one shot," Stephan growls out weakly, still sore from getting the bullet ...

"Aiken— Thank you for covering for me back at the base," Stephan earnestly says, a slight pout forming on his lips as he speaks, "I can't believe that motherfucker got me in one shot," Stephan growls out weakly, still sore from getting the bullet taken out of his gut.

"That's my job, sir. Although I know this whole situation could've gotten a whole lot worse, we just have to move on from now," Aiken passionately assesses, a wave of confidence flowing off of his every word.

Suddenly, I feel incredibly awkward standing vacantly next to Stephan, as I feel extremely out of my element. Looking back at me, Stephan grabs my hand.

"I don't think you guys have been properly introduced yet, have you? Sarah, this is my third in command, Aiken Knox. Both him and Trevor take over my position whenever I'm out, or I'm unable to, like right now," Stephan's voice quietens as he finishes. Curtly smiling, Aiken nods his head at me.

"Yes, how rude of me. It's nice to finally meet you, Sarah. I hope Stephan here hasn't caused you too much trouble," Aiken casually teases, making Stephan grumble. Their childish banter causes a small smile to form on my face, the tense atmosphere lifting a little bit. Gracefully shaking my hand, I muster a smile at him. 

"Well," Stephan's voice makes me jump, the mood of the room turning from one small word.

Aiken clears his throat as he straightens his back.

"We have cleared up any evidence of our two parties being at the docks, the police were unable to find any links to us. However, as we were able to capture and take the majority of Harris' men who surrendered, we must find a good use for them now. Also, as per your request, we immediately recovered Trevor's body," the mention of his name causing my breath to catch in my throat. Stephan nods as Aiken continues.