46

♚ ♚ ♚

"Mother fucker!" Stephan's pained voice yells out. The dark red blood saturates his hand, as Stephan stumbles backward. Without any warning, Stephan regains his balance, and swiftly whips out his gun, turning with absolutely no hesitation and fires.

The dark damp tunnel rumbles from the power of Stephan's gun, as the fading light falls over Harris. But, what I saw is something that I will never forget. Almost in sync, as the tunnel rumbled, I watch as Harris' face burst open and his limp body falls backward in a heap.

The image imprints into my mind, but I can't seem to focus on that. I quickly turn to Stephan, his hands gripping his stomach in agony, as he breathes radically. My heart starts to pound even louder, making it really hard to think rationally.

"Fuck, Stephan! Holy crap, what do we do?" I flip back to Trevor next to me, panic-stricken, looking to him for any sort of answer. As composed as ever, Trevor glances at Stephan, then stands up and grabs a cell phone from his back pocket. 

Stephan grunts as he stands back up, and turns to the direction that we were just running towards. Trevor's voice echos in the tunnel.

"Code black. Stephan has been shot, all personnel please carry on the plan and meet back at home base."

Stephan stumbles again, as I shoot to his side and try to steady him. Trevor runs over to us, and grabs Stephan's other side and helps him move forward. My eyes start stinging, the shock of it all catching up to me, the stream of tears vacantly falling onto the damp concrete floor. Everything in my body is strained, the building concern for Stephan pumping through my veins.

As we round the last corner, I hear sounds of distant yelling follow from behind. Trevor swears, as he whips out his gun again, and starts moving Stephan faster. A big intimidating locked door comes into view, as we run towards it. Trevor swiftly unlocks it with two shots of his gun, and bangs it open. One last glance behind us, the voices sound a whole lot closer, the dark drops of Stephan's blood trailing behind us.

The cold air whips past our skin, my burning face cooling instantly as my tears stop falling. Everything is dark, the sun has long set as the night sky fights against our vision. We keep moving forward, as we pass shipping container by container. It isn't until now that I realize that we are on a shipping dock, the harsh noise of waves crashing onto docks hangs in the distance. 

Looking down at Stephan, I see his face turn a frightening shade of white, as his body starts to sag forward, the blood soaking his shirt. 

"Shit, he's losing too much blood!" Trevor exclaims, stopping for a moment for Stephan to catch his breath. 

An idea pops in my head, as I quickly whip off the shirt I was wearing. Luckily, I'm wearing an undershirt, so I'm not exposed to anyone. Trevor's eyes widen at the sight of me bunching up my shirt and placing it over Stephan's wound.

"Hold it tightly on there," I whisper into Stephan's ear, he gives me a weak nod and groans as he presses down. Hurridly walking off again, we finally see a black SUV in the distance, the engine already running. 

A guy jumps out of the van, and quickly opens the back door for us. Trevor and I both help Stephan weakly get into the van, the movement making Stephan swear loudly. 

Just as the man runs over to the diver's seat, and Trevor and I settle Stephan in his seat, a loud cracking gunshot rings out, making me duck shakily and start to quiver.

"Son of a bitch!" Trevor heatedly curses, as he forcibly shoves me into the van, my body running right into Stephan's outstretched arms, as we both look back with wide eyes.

"Fuck, Trevor! Just get in the fucking car!" Stephan commands, but Trevor just looks down, and quickly re-loads his gun, ignoring Stephan. 

"Fucking shit, Trevor," A voice in my head rings out, as my body instantly moves out of Stephan's weak hold and I start running after him. I hear Stephan yell out in the car, but my body is so focused on Trevor, that I'm not able to understand anything that he is saying. Just as I am about to run over and grab Trevor's hand, I hear a booming voice ring out.

"You guys are some fucking shit aren't you? I'm fucking sick of this!" A raspy voice rings out. I see Trevor's face darken, as he raises his gun. 

A shot rings out. 

However, it wasn't Trevor's gun.

His lifeless body collapses onto the ground, the gun clattering across the pavement. 

My body stills, as I feel a building sensation in my gut form. Whipping my head to the distance, I see a wavering figure stand there, a smirk across his face as I instantly recognize him.

"Mulligan," I whisper out, my voice feeling extremely weak and small.

Without thinking, I run for the gun on the ground, the blood around the handle making my stomach churn as I hold it tightly. I raise it with shaky hands, and aim at Mulligan's nearing figure. He doesn't raise his, and just casually walks up to me.

"Now, Sarah. That's not how your father raised you. You don't raise a gun at family," Mulligan coldly snarls out, his words cutting deep into my heart, as my hands violently shake. Trying to stay composed, I tighten my grip and keep holding the gun at him. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Trevor's body lay in a pool of his own blood, as a single tear drops out of my eye. I hear Stephan yelling, as I hear him trying to get out of the van.

"You know, Sarah. I can keep you safe. You won't last a month with these guys. I know how to really keep you safe. We are family after all," Mulligan shouts out, as he raises both of his hands and continues to walk towards me. For a second, I falter. Memories of everything I've been through passes my mind. I admit, living with Stephan hasn't been perfect, but I realize now the difference between his words and Mulligans. 

Stephan's voice is filled with truth and love, while this man...

This complete stranger, or not, is a fucking liar.

And I hate liars who mess with my family.

Taking one last glance at Trevor, I settle on my decision...

"Fuck you!" I hear myself growl out, as my body moves without even thinking about it. Without hesitation, I pull back the trigger, the force of the gun pushing my hands backward. The crack of the gun shoots a loud ring in my ears.

Time slows down, as Mulligan's falling body winces as he places both of his hands on his gut and collapses onto the rock hard ground. The gun clatters out of my hand, as I feel sucked of all strength. 

The ringing in my ears is unbearable, but the power of the gun numbs my hands as I just stare out at Mulligan's body in a heap on the ground.

A pair of strong hands roughly grab my arms, and carry me back over to the van. Looking with widening and frozen eyes, I see Stephan's pained face, his eyes watered and red.

The loud click of the van shuts the outside world from us, as the van takes off. Stephan's hands are still covered in blood, but he uses one to hold my shirt to his gut, while the other is tightly woven in mine. 

My hands tremble, the sight of Trevor's blood and Stephan's blood on both of my hands making me lose control. I'm lost for words, as I gasp and whimper. Tears mix in the blood.

Instantly, I squeeze back Stephan's hand as we are hurridly taken to the nearby hospital.

That night will be the first of many. My cold hands are warmed by the strength in Stephan's. I've never seen a night so dark and somber.