Chapter 20: Family Time

2 days later

Knox

Call me watchu want but

You can't call me broke

(Money!)

Money on my mind-

"yo who dis?!" I mumbled into the phone as I used my covers to block out the sunlight.

"Boi stop trippin you know who dis be" Indy (my cousin)'s ghetto ass voice spoke through the phone.

"Wha you want" I asked getting straight to the point.

"Nothin nan wants you down here asap...Its Danny again" she announced then hung up. Damn her ass rude.

...

After showering and deciding on... I jumped in my ride and whipped out.

...

I pulled up infront of my nan's house in my childhood neighbourhood of Fairhill.

The neighbourhood still looks as run down as it was when I left.
I got out the car and looked at my nan's run down apartment.

As soon as I started earning dough I tried to move nan out the nearly crumbling apartment but she refused. She lived there since the 70s with grandad and was too attached, especially now that his gone.

I crossed the road and was showered by the little neighbourhood kids, who were sat on the apartment stairs playing cards before they saw me.

"Knox, Knox did you bring us candy?"

"Please say you did?"

"Whats in the bag?!"

They asked throwing they questions at a nigga all at once. I smiled and threw them the duffer bag filled with candy and chocolate.

"Don't tell your mums doh" I winked then went up the stairs.
I ran up the stairs to the second floor before knocking on my nan's door, which had a cross on it. After couple of seconds she finally opened the door.

"Da-" she shrieked with her high pitched fragile voice, extending her arms.

"-Nan wha I tell you bout calling me by my government name" I complained locking her in a hug.

"I'm so glad your here" she smiled slowly leading me to the sitting room.

"Where's Danny?" I asked looking round for any sign of him.

"His in his room packing" she responded sitting in her arm chair rocking back and forth.

"Packing for where?" I asked confused as fuck.
"Da-"

"-Nan seriously"

"Boi I'll lick you down with dese slippers if yu interrupt me again" she threatened unleashing her Bajan side. I laughed and sat back.

"A women can't raise a man" she continued as she clutched onto the bible that grand-dad gave her.
"I've tried to raise Daniel as best as I can and given him everything he needs to leave this place. Yet he still strays from that path. And chooses the life of drugs and sin" she explained with tears in her eyes.

"Nan please. Your doing the best you can." Fuck I hate seeing nan cry.
"Yh I know but Fairhill isn't the best place for a young boy to live"

I sighed knowing that was the truth. It's bang in the middle of all the other drug run neighbourhoods in north East Philly. Shit this is where I first started slinging drugs.