Chapter 3: I'd choose you

AN: New chapter = new fun stuff! I honestly loved reading all y'all's reactions to the last chapter's cliffhanger. Hopefully, this chapter is what all you hoped for and answers some of your questions. Enjoy!

- B

POV Alaric

"How have you been Ric?" I approach Caroline who's standing by herself in the kitchen.

With her going on recruits year long and me trying to run a school we rarely get to see each other anymore. Seeing her here today is a good opportunity for us to catch up and for me to talk to about a couple of things.

"The usual you know. Trying to run a supernatural school while also making sure I'm in the loop with the girls." I let out a big sigh.

"Have you been taking care of yourself?" Caroline cocks her head sideways.

"Yeah yeah, of course." I try to brush off the concerns.

"Ric," Caroline's soft look turns stern.

"I already have the twins and now Hope on me all the time you don't have to be worried too Caroline." I release another sigh.

"I'm glad they are because you really should put yourself first sometimes. The girls are growing up and they're not always under our provision anymore. It's time to do something for yourself." Caroline places her hand on my arm.

My eyes flicker down to her hand for a second before I look back up at her.

"About the girls. I know they're getting older and everything but don't you think it's a little soon for Josie to be engaged?"

For the first time since the news was broken to me, I share my concerns with Caroline.

Caroline at first looks confused.

"Didn't you give Hope your blessing before she asked?"

"Yeah, I mean did and I think it's great that they're making each other happy but they're still kids Caroline. Josie just graduated from high school for Christ's sake. I knew that even if I didn't give my blessing Hope would ask anyway so I thought I could be on board with it but I don't know." I ramble my concerns.

"That's understandable but you have to remember Ric, as much as we want them to be they're not normal kids. We know better than anyone what it's like to be their age in the supernatural world. By the time I was around their age I was turned into a vampire and before I knew it I was Hope's age having the twins and living a whole new life. We just have to accept that nothing about them will be normal and we can't expect them to be."

"I know," I let out a defeated breath.

"I just wish I could stop time, I wish I could give them a better life so they didn't feel like they had to rush into things before it's all taken away from them. Supernatural or not they're still kids who shouldn't be afraid of what might happen tomorrow."

"I know," I feel a hand rubbing my back up and down.

POV Josie

I stand in the middle of the parking lot stunned by what just happened.

"P... w-wha—"

Penelope is standing in front of me with her face still close to mine. At this point, silent tears were streaking her face.

Reality finally catches up to me and I stumble backward.

"I'm sorry Jojo, I really am."

That's the last thing I hear from Penelope before she runs off to her car and drives away.