Chapter 16: Patience is a virtue

POV Hope

I'm sitting stunned on my bed watching Josie scramble off and head over to the closet.

"Josie, talk to me," I ask desperately.

There's no answer. Instead, she's stuffing clothes into a bag and frantically looking for things to pack. Finally, she turns around and looks at me.

"We have to go to Mystic Falls." Her voice comes out panicked.

"I know babe," I get off the bed and make my way over to stand only inches away from her.

She stands there frozen struggling to process the sudden turn of events. I search her eyes for any sign of emotion but all I see is a glossy pair of brown eyes.

"Hey," I bring a hand up to her face.

Immediately, Josie's eyes close and her face falls into my hand.

"Please tell me that if I open my eyes right now it'll all go away. That this is just a bad dream." A single tear rolls down Josie's face.

"I'm sorry," Is all I manage to say before pulling Josie into a tight embrace.

I feel tears soaking through my shirt and Josie's body shaking with each sob.

"What do you need me to do?" I gently whisper into Josie's ear.

It takes a minute for Josie to answer but she finally lifts her head and looks at me with her newly reddened eyes.

"Just be here with me. Tell me it's going to be okay and he's going to be okay." Josie pleads with her eyes.

My face drops at Josie's unrealistic request. But right now, I have to say what Josie needs to hear.

"I'm here for you Jo. Always and forever. I can't make any promises and you know that but whatever happens, you'll be okay. You're going to get through this and you're going to be okay. But first, let's drive to Mystic Falls to see your dad before we jump to conclusions okay?" Josie nods and lets out a slow breath.

I bring my lips to Josie's forehead in hopes to comfort her before pulling away to help her pack.

Within a few minutes, our car is loaded and we're on the road to Mystic Falls.

*

After a long quiet drive, we finally arrive at the hospital address Lizzie sent us.

"Hi, I'm looking for a patient? Alaric Saltzman?" Josie rushes to the front desk.

"May I ask who you are?" The lady looks up at Josie with a kind look.

"I'm Josie Saltzman. My dad had a stroke and was admitted to the hospital earlier today. I need to see him." Josie's voice is panicked once again.

"Okay, if you give me one moment I can look him up." My fiancée impatiently nods her head.

After a few seconds of quick typing, the lady looks back up with a smile. He's in room 372. If you take the elevator that'll be the third floor the hall to your right."

"Thank you," Josie says before rushing off again.

I quietly follow behind giving Josie some space.

Once Josie reaches the elevator she rapidly presses the up button.

"Josie, I don't think pressing it more is going to make it come any faster." I gently place my hand on top of hers.

"I know, it's just," My eyes travel to the ground to see Josie's foot anxiously tapping the ground.