Chapter 8: Living with your choices

AN: So, this going to be technically considered my update for Friday even though I'm posting it at nearly exactly at 12AM. I'll be straight with y'all, this chapter is angst heavy but you all saw it coming. A lot happens in a short span of time and it was one of those chapters that I hated that I loved writing. Enjoy!

- B

2 months later

POV Hope

After the first couple of days of Josie transitioning she appeared to be seemingly okay so she and I decided we would come back home. Caroline, on the other hand, was hesitant about letting Josie go so soon.

After some persuading, we were able to convince Caroline that Josie was ready to ease back into the world.

I walk into our apartment while shuffling through the new mail in my hands.

"Babe, some college letters came for you."

I place my keys down in the key bowl and walk over to Josie who's scrolling through her phone at the kitchen counter.

"Which ones?"

Josie appears uninterested about the possible acceptance letters in my hand.

"One from Whitmore and one from the University of New Orleans." I place the two unopened envelopes in front of Josie.

Josie picks up the letter from Whitmore first and opens it.

"Dear Miss Josette Saltzman," Josie starts to read out loud.

I lean in closer to the brunette to peer over her shoulder.

"You got in babe! Congrats!" I place a kiss on Josie's cheek.

"Yay me." Josie reacts unenthusiastically.

"This is supposed to be exciting. Is everything okay?" I move so I'm facing the girl sitting in front of me.

"Yeah, everything's fine. I was just thinking, why go to college? I mean, yeah education is cool and all but we could travel instead. Do something cool." Josie simply shrugs her shoulders.

"I think traveling is great but I thought going to college was your dream? I can't believe I'm saying this but you insisted that it was an experience that you should have and I agree."

"I don't know, I wanted to go to college because I wanted the whole human experience but I'm not human anymore so what's the point? We're supernatural beings so we shouldn't try to live a normal life." I frown at Josie's casual comment.

"What'd you mean? The whole point of us getting engaged, finishing school, and moving out here was so that we could have as normal of a life possible. We've always wanted that and the fact that you're a heretic now doesn't change it." I counter argue.

"I don't get what the big deal is Hope, it's just college."

Josie sounds so nonchalant about this that I can't tell if she really means it or not.

I let out a sigh before responding.

"If that's what you really want then okay, I'll support you. I just don't want you making regrettable choices because I know how much it meant to you to go to college." I place my hand on Josie's knee.

"Yeah, I know babe, thanks." Josie stands up and gives me a quick peck on the lips before moving onto a different task.

I eye the second letter Josie chose not to open and decide not to mention it not wanting to get into an argument right now.