Chapter 17: The Surge

AN: GUYS! This was supposed to be a double update last night but clearly, that didn't happen but hey, it's close to one, isn't it? Also! I meant to do this last chapter but completely forgot. Shoutout to Jo and Alexis for pitching me a couple of ideas for these two chapters. Enjoy this rollercoaster of a chapter and stick around for a few announcements!

- B

POV Hope

The drive to the hotel is somber but Lizzie attempts to start small talk.

"So, tell me about your engagement!" Lizzie's voice is chipper than I'd like but I understand it's out of pain.

"It was spontaneous but I loved it." I look up at the rearview mirror to find Josie knocked out cold.

"Show me the ring. She gave you a ring, right?" Lizzie inquires.

"Haha, yes, she gave me a ring."

I cross my left arm under my driving one and show Lizzie the diamond placed on my hand.

"Damn, my sister's taste in jewelry has finally improved hasn't it. Or you're just a good influence on her."

"It's definitely a beautiful ring." I smile proudly looking over at my own hand.

"Hey, eyes back on the road. No need for all of us to die tonight but I guess that's more a me concern considering you two are nearly impossible to kill." Lizzie jokes.

"Yeah, I guess so." My voice drops at the dark humor.

"I'm sorry. When things are tense I tend to say things I shouldn't you know that better than anyone." Lizzie frantically apologizes.

"No, it's okay. I get it. It's a hard time for everyone and some people just need a bit of humor to lighten the mood. Even if it's dark humor." I flash Lizzie a reassuring smile.

"Never in a million years did I think I'd be here." Lizzie slowly shakes her head.

"Yeah, seeing your dad like this must not be easy." For some reason, guilt seeps into my voice.

"Oh, I meant you and I getting along this well and to be soon sister-in-laws but yeah, that too."

I can't help but laugh at Lizzie's priority list.

"This can't be easy for you as well." Lizzie turns to look at me.

This is the first time tonight that someone cared how I was. Of course, everyone had their own pain to deal with but as much as I never wanted to admit it, Alaric is like a father to me. We had our ups and downs but he was there for me when I needed him. So long I've gone without losing anyone but now I feel like all that pain and suffering is back.

"Nothing I can't handle." I try to brush off Lizzie's concerns.

"Hope Mikaelson. I've known you long enough to know when you're lying through your teeth. And the same goes for Josie. So, either learn to be a better liar or tell Josie whatever that it is that you weren't telling us earlier. And, if you're not okay just admit it. We're your family now, we're here for you." Lizzie's voice softens at the end making it harder to put up my front.

"I'm not lying Lizzie. When you've lost more people than you can count on one hand and almost two then you learn a thing or two about dealing with pain. But you're right. This isn't easy." I look over at Lizzie who's face now is full of empathy.

"I love Josie and right now Josie needs me so I'll be her support system," I respond honestly.

"Josie is a big girl and as much as she has a hard time taking care of herself, so do you. So, do both of yourselves a favor and start taking care of yourselves instead of always being focused on each other. Or else your relationship is going to implode on itself."