Chapter 14: We're not broken, just a bit bruised

AN: Heyo fam! This chapter was supposed to be written 2 days ago but the last of finals hit me making it impossible to write proper content so I'm here now. Good news though, school is finally over for me! Yayyyy. This means that I will be writing more (hopefully in somewhat of a consistent basis) and you will be seeing more of me. Enjoy!

- B

A couple of months later

POV Josie

I'm sitting on Hope's bed when I hear footsteps in the courtyard. I hop off the bed and walk over to the balcony to see Hope finally returning home after being gone all day.

"Hey," I softly greet my girlfriend from afar.

"Hey," She looks up at me with a weary look before disappearing into the kitchen.

This whole week Hope's been disappearing time to time without much heads up but it's nothing new. She refuses to accept it but this week every year is the hardest week in her life.

Still standing on the balcony I ponder for a second debating whether I should go join Hope in the kitchen or give her her space. Any other day I would give her space but sometimes too much space isn't good as well.

Not in a real hurry to get to the kitchen I decide to walk over instead of vamp speeding. Finally, I reach the door and lean on the doorframe to watch Hope gracefully move around the kitchen fixing up some food.

"You hungry?" Hope asks with her eyes still focused on the food in front of her.

Hope may not be a full-on vampire but it's definitely a challenge to sneak up on her.

"Whatcha making?" I ask more for conversation sake than out of curiosity.

After my transition, I've still been able to enjoy food but it's never as appealing as blood.

"I was just going to make some pasta unless you wanted something else." Hope finally turns around to face me.

Her eyes are tired yet still beautiful. Her shoulders drooping without realization and just an overall exhaustion washes over her.

"Pasta sounds good." I flash her a warm smile before finally making my way over to her.

"Were you at the Bayou again?"

I wrap my arms around her taking in a big whiff of the woods and werewolf stench. Maybe because Hope's a hybrid but her wolf smell was never really bad. Just enough that I can pick it up when I'm close to her but not overwhelming like the rest of the wolves I've encountered since my transition.

"Yeah," Hope breathes out without much explanation.

I know the last thing she needs is for me to pry so I drop the conversation. Things are already hard enough as it is, she doesn't need to feel like she's burdening me which she isn't.

"Why don't you let me fix up dinner and you can go take a shower."

"Is this you implying that I smell?" Hope responds in a sarcastically offended voice.

"You smell like roses, paint, and trees like always." I roll my eyes.

"I just figured you'd like to relax for a bit. You probably had a long day." My eyes sadden with empathy.

"I'm sorry, I know you're just trying to be nice." Hope suddenly turns apologetic.

"Hey, it's okay. You don't have to apologize. Just go enjoy your shower and we can watch some Netflix with dinner in bed." I bring both my hands up to cup Hope's face.