Chapter 19: Legacy

AN: This chapter is my homage to Legacies. And no, it's not just because the title is "Legacy" and the fact that this is a Legacies fanfic. I hope I embodied what it means to continue a legacy. Enjoy!

- B

2 months later

POV Hope

These past couple of months have been a whirlwind of emotions.

Grief takes shape in many different forms and for Josie, it's to keep moving. She doesn't let it freeze her in time. Rather, she has to keep pushing forward hoping it won't catch up to her. The first month of being back home was like that for her. She surprisingly didn't turn to her hunger but instead distracted herself with something new which for her was applying to schools.

A typical couple would embark on their honeymoon quickly following their wedding but there's nothing about us that's typical. I wasn't going to push Josie to take this trip especially considering our situation.

The weeks passed until the inevitable happened. Josie finally realized that her life wasn't going to be the same anymore and she couldn't just ignore it. I walked into our room to find her standing in front of our closet frozen in place. There was a box set on our bed which I could only assume were Alaric's old things that were passed down to Josie.

Josie had found Alaric's watch again and for the first time since the funeral, she'd taken a moment to grieve. That's when both of us decided we needed a getaway. A pause from our lives and take some time for ourselves. We figured this would be our chance to go on our honeymoon as well.

Last night, we got back from our month long honeymoon from Bora Bora. It really gave Josie and I a chance to reconnect with each other and take a breather from our lives. We also finally picked out our wedding rings to go with our engagement rings.

*

Josie hopped into the shower not too long ago and I'm just rolling out of bed. Pulling open the nightstand drawer, I find Alaric's letter sitting in the back. Having not read the letter yet I chose not to tell Josie. The last thing I wanted was to upset her or make it harder for her to get closure.

I hear the water start to run in the bathroom and take this opportunity to finally open the letter. I put my finger inside the small opening of the seam and tear open the envelope. Inside is a simple piece of a paper which I pull out. Upon opening it I immediately noticed the full page of writing.

"Dear Hope," My eyes start to slowly scan the words.

"If you're reading this then I'm assuming my time has finally come to an end." Although it's been a couple of months since the funeral, the reminder still stings.

"...knowing you, you're probably wondering why I gave you a letter instead of telling you whatever I need to say in person." A chuckle escapes my mouth. Even beyond the grave, Alaric knows me better than most.

"Some words are just better left on paper I guess. I'm sorry things had to be this way but you know better than anyone how life has a mind of its own and never stops for anyone else. There's so much I wish I could say but let's just start with this. I feel honored to have watched you grow into the young woman that you are and not a day has gone by since your graduation that I have thought any less of you. You took the burden of the Mikaelson name and made it something new. You took on the dark legacy of your family and you shined right through it." New tears start to form in my eyes clouding my vision.

"...I know I'm not your father and will be nowhere near that title but you've become like a daughter to me. And I want to thank you for all that you've done for my daughter. You've given me what any father would want for his child, happiness. I may not live to see yours and Josie's life unfold but I'm content with leaving Josie in your care. I get to leave this world knowing there's a smile on Josie's face and I have you to thank for that." The tears that originally formed out of sadness turn into bittersweet joy.