Chapter 7: It's your choice

AN: I'm back y'all! For some reason, it was really hard for me to finish this chapter which is why it took a bit longer than usual. It gets emotional and small breadcrumbs for future chapters are left behind so let's see if you guys pick up. Enjoy!

- B

POV Josie

Everything's dark.

There's a ringing in my ears.

My skin itches as if something is crawling through my veins.

Oh my god, what happened to me?

My eyes shoot open which I regret immediately. It's dark out and the lights are dimmed in the room yet everything feels so bright and burns. Not only that but I also have a pounding headache.

"Josie!" Hope rushes over to my side.

"What happened? Where am I?" I slowly sit up causing every bone in my body to ache.

"How are you feeling?" Hope brings her hand up to my face.

"Everything's so bright and I have a killer headache," I wince at the pain.

"What happened to me, Hope?"

The last thing I remember is getting off the plane with Hope to meet my dad. If I try to remember anything past that it just blurs out and sends spiking pains through my head.

I watch Hope take in a deep breath.

"We came to Mystic Falls to help your dad fight a monster," I slowly nod my head following.

"When we were on the field you ran out of magic while fighting the monster and got attacked."

My memories are finally starting to come back.

Hope swallows hard.

"You died with my blood in your system and now you're in the middle of transitioning."

"I died?"

I don't understand. Hope couldn't have explained it any clearer but all of this feels so sudden.

"Yeah," Hope quietly responds.

"Now I'm in transitioning."

Hope nods.

"You don't have to finish it if you don't want to Josie."

I can tell Hope is struggling to say this.

"As much as I wish this wasn't the case it's your choice." I see tears forming in her eyes.

I always thought that if I was presented the option with becoming a heretic I'd choose it without thinking twice but now that I'm here, it terrifies me.

"I'm scared, Hope."

Hope pulls me into a tight embrace.

"I know Jo, and I wish there was something I could do to help you."

"What if I hate being a heretic? What if I go psycho like my uncle did?" I look at Hope.

"Whatever you decide I will support you 100%, Josie. If you decide to be a heretic then we take it one day at a time. You're not going to go psycho. There's too much good in you." Hope reaches up to wipe the tears that are fighting to spill.

"What do I do?" I desperately ask.

"What you think is best for you." Hope gives me a sad smile.

When the room finally falls silent again I feel the burning sensation return.

"I'm so hungry." I frown.