Chapter Fifteen

"Gerard, quick! Meet our new Jesus!"

Gerard had woken up later than usual this morning, finding his room empty as Frank had already left for his morning vitals. Gerard spent a lot of time revisiting the events of last night, and the movie with Frank. The mixed signals he was receiving were quite strong, and were taking up the majority of his thoughts at the moment. Yes, Frank had stated quite clearly that he was straight and therefore not into Gerard, but last night had made him reconsider. After the movie had started, Gerard moved closer to Frank in a very friendly way; it had been Frank's choice entirely to rest his fucking head on Gerard's shoulder. And even later, they'd held hands again, this time without Frank losing his shit.

That was not a friendly encounter, Gerard was sure. He knew friends could hold hands and lean on shoulder or whatever the fuck, but that was not. And at night when Frank had thanked him - it was as if they'd gone on a date, rather than an inpatient movie night.

Gerard had gone to breakfast alone, and had been expecting a lot of things when Lindsey raced over to him. Gerard had not, however, expected a rubber glove filled with water – proclaiming to be Jesus - to be held out to him. "It's our savior!" Lindsey said, shaking the glove a bit.

"Are you okay, Lindsey?" Gerard asked in amusement. By now Haley had reached them, and she struggled to explain. "You see, Lindsey and I have become fed up with these short smoke breaks," She flipped her bright hair over one shoulder. "I know that they have to keep tabs and us all and all, but fifteen minutes isn't enough time to enjoy anything!"

"So?" Gerard raised a brow at her protests.

"So we were thinking," Haley looked up at him excitedly. "If we practice a religion that required longer breaks, they'd have to give them to us, right?"

"They can't deny us of our religion!" Lindsey declared loudly, catching the attention of a nurse passing by. "Settle down, please," The lady instructed, and Lindsey stuck her tongue out at the nurse's back. "She's just jealous because her Jesus is some dead dude, and not an epic master like our glove," Lindsey jerked a thumb at the woman, rolling her eyes.

"You're making up a religion just so you can burn out your cigarettes?" Gerard said skeptically, and Lindsey nodded, taking a seat with her tray. "Yep. Those things aren't cheap, man. We need to salvage what we can get these days."

"Aren't you filthy rich or something, Lindsey?" Brendon, who had probably overheard their entire conversation from the table, called.

"Fuck off!" Lindsey said, flipping him off with both hands. Hayley just smiled, shaking her head as she took a seat. "Aren't we all?"

"Hey, Brendon, how'd your big freedom-spree go last night?" Gerard challenged, laughing a little. "Unfortunately, we got sent to our rooms before it ended."

"It was great," Brendon said dramatically. "I made it all the way down to the maternity ward. It was probably four flights of stairs, but definitely worth it. So many hot pregnant chicks."

"That's actually disgusting," Ryan replied from next to him, and Lindsey nodded, pointing to the boy. "Yeah, what he said!"

Gerard turned back to his food, poking at the frozen waffle with his plastic fork. When Lindsey and Hayley finished talking to the boys and began eating, Gerard asked them more about their 'religion.'

"As you know, we've got this water balloon as Jesus," Haley began, and Lindsey cut in quickly. "And Ray is our God!"

"I'm your what?" Ray's confused voice came from the table over, but the three ignored him, except for Lindsey, who shouted, "None of your business!"