Chapter Twenty-Seven

yoooo i saw blink-182 and neck deep

"Frank, we have some important news."

Frank sighed, resting his chin on his hands. He'd been pulled from his morning DBT to talk with some member from his team. He couldn't quite remember her name – Allie? Ashley? Who cared, they were all the same. "Hit me."

Frank had come back with Gerard late last night. Sure, they'd got yelled at, but it had been too fun to care. Obviously they had to get checked after pass to make sure they weren't sneaking anything dangerous in, but Gerard's nurse turned a blind eye at his pockets full of candy, and they'd given them out before third shift had arrived.

And maybe things had been a little awkward, but Frank was positive that he regretting nothing, and wouldn't take that kiss back for the world.

He had kissed Gerard. And Gerard had kissed back.

So much for being straight.

"I just want you to know that this was out of our control, and if we could change it, we would have." Ashley started apologetically, and Frank frowned, dread beginning to pit in his chest. "What happened?" He asked, and she looked at him sympathetically.

"Your insurance is pulling you." She told him, and Frank's stomach dropped. "What?" He asked, shocked. Frank couldn't tell what he was feeling, and he sat up, eyes wide. "That's impossible; we're military!"

"Due to regulations starting in the New Year, in two months our facility will no longer accept your coverage." She told him slowly. Frank felt as if he were being down-spoken, and stiffened defensively. "You'll be leaving on Thursday."

"That's in three days!" Frank shouted. "You seriously think I'll be ready by then?"

"You've almost reached a dischargeable weight." Ashley shook her head. "But Frank, like I said, it's not within my control. We've been keeping you in inpatient as long as we could, but without insurance coverage, we can't keep you any longer. You'll continue your treatment at whichever hospital your insurance assigns."

"Here?" Frank asked, and she frowned. "No, in Kentucky."

"Kentucky?" Frank repeated, and she nodded. "That's what you're covered for, Frank. I'm sorry."

Frank was speechless. In less than five minutes, his entire life was being turned around.

✰✰✰

"Time's started, Frank." The TA reminded him kindly at the lunch table. For once, Frank didn't have a smart reply. "Sorry," He mumbled back instead, covering his eyes with his hands as he leaned on his elbows. His food lay untouched on his plate, and he scowled at it, shivering slightly. After trying to hide food in a sleeve, Frank wasn't allowed to have his sweatshirt in the cafeteria, which resulted in him not only struggling with the meal, but also dealing with the fact that it was so goddamn fucking COLD.

Frank couldn't do this right now. His meal - along with the news he was stepping down - was too much. Frank felt sick – no, worse than sick. He was going home. In three days.

"Frank?" The TA asked quietly, with concern. "Is today's meal particularly challenging? There are still twelve minutes left – if you'd like, I can see if your therapist's available."

"I don't need a meal coach," Frank snapped, before softening his tone. "I'm fine."

"You don't look fine." The TA commented, and Frank shot them a glare, standing up loudly. "Well, I am," He spat, turning and walking out the door.