Chapter Thirty-Seven

this chapter is for steve - your post goth straight ass will carry on lmao

The first day was exhausting, just like it always was. Hospital number ten – Jesus, that wasn't a number Frank thought he'd ever have.

The plane ride was fine, (he'd had to get his tube put back in before he left), but Kentucky was more different than Frank had imagined it to be. Then again he was only seeing it from the inside of a hospital. For starters, this center was only for eating disorders. Secondly, he was the only guy.

Frank didn't realize he'd sighed out loud until the girl across from him glanced up, taking her eyes off her game of Mario Kart. "You okay?" She asked, and Frank shrugged. "I'm getting there."

"I'm Kayleigh," She said, tossing him a controller. "Pick someone."

"I'm Frank." He replied, choosing a character on Mario Kart.

"Bowser?" Kayleigh scoffed. "Disgusting."

Frank smirked. "Okay, fine, who are you going to be? Peach?"

"Waluigi." Kayleigh grinned, and Frank raised his brows. "How is that any worse than Bowser?"

"Pick your car already!" She cried, and Frank shook his head, smiling. "How long have you been here for?"

"I've been at Genesis for inpatient and res, so eight weeks." Kayleigh said casually, while she obliterated Frank in Mario Kart. "But before that, I came from Hillsdale."

"Never heard of any of those." Frank said, explaining, "I'm from New Jersey."

Kayleigh nodded. "Makes sense. How was it there? Meet anyone cool?"

"Yeah," Frank laughed. "A lot of cool people. My roommate was the best."

Kayleigh 'awwed' as she started a new round. She'd been in second place, Frank had been in last. "Are y'all still in touch? It's not allowed here, but no one follows that rule, duh."

"No, he doesn't have a phone." Frank said, and Kayleigh frowned. "You couldn't write him?"

"He doesn't know his address." Frank began, but realized how weird that sounded and caught himself. "He has a new house, so he doesn't have it memorized yet."

"That sucks." Kayleigh sympathized, cursing under her breath as she crashed Waluigi into another car. "Were you two good friends?"

"We were dating," Frank paused. "Well, maybe we still are? I don't know how that would work."

"Dang, man, then you should definitely find him." Kayleigh said, and Frank nodded wordlessly.

If only he could.

✰✰✰

Frank rolled over in his bed, enjoying the freedom of movement. He was no longer on night feed, but had to keep the tube in for now, anyway. His room felt too big and empty, with the ceiling miles away and the walls stretching into darkness.

Fuck, he really missed Gerard.

Gerard had cried when he left. It had probably been because of the painkillers, but Frank didn't think he was ever going to forget the look on his face.

Frank had said bye to Lindsey as well, and gotten her number. As much as he liked her, he was secretly hoping that he could use Lindsey to talk to Gerard. That wouldn't be until Lindsey was out, though; and from what she had said that wouldn't be for a while.

The staff member working third shift walked past Frank's door, shining his flashlight in before moving on to the next one. After he'd gone, Frank sat up, digging through the drawers by his bed. He'd taken everything out of his bag, but he hadn't had the chance to really unpack yet.

Frank froze as his hands brushed against a comic book. It was the one he'd talked to Gerard about, lifetimes ago when they'd first met. He'd forgotten he still had it.

Slowly picking it up, Frank examined the cover. He should have given this issue to Gerard. He should have given literally anything to Gerard, to keep as a memoir, like they were in some sappy romance novel.

Frank opened to the first page, and a piece of folded paper fell out. His heart jumped at it, and Frank put the book down slowly. It couldn't be . . .

A note from Gerard.

Frank unfolded the paper slowly, revealing a small crayon drawing of two people from behind, holding hands. It took him a moment to realize that it was the two of them on Halloween, and Frank was wearing Gerard's jacket.

Mouth slut was written in scratchy handwriting under the drawing and Frank snorted. How iconic.

Flipping the page over, Frank read a small note, also in crayon. The first part was a series of numbers, and it took Frank a moment to realize it was a phone number. Underneath, in Gerard's messy scrawl, were the words:

Call me -

Xo, G

ajrfaajghskjdfhgfjksdghdfsjkghsdfjg

OK THERE'S GONNA BE AN EPILOGUE MAYBE 

I HOPE U ENJOYED THIS FIC AHDFDAFAJDKSFDSHJFH

VOTE FOR SPIDER RIGHTS