Chapter Thirty-Four

Everything sucked.

Despite the fact that his whole body hurt, the world was spinning, and his eyes refused to open fully, it was somehow the best day of Gerard's life.

Fuck anesthesia. It felt like meth, but like, meth on steroids. 

"You're awake early," A voice said, and Gerard replied with a grunt. "Yeah, I am."

The nurse laughed. "How are you feeling, Gerard? Breathing alright?"

"Definitely." Gerard said, and the nurse pulled a stethoscope off his neck. "I'm going to take a listen. It's a little cold, alright?"

"Yes," Gerard nodded, not caring as the nurse put the stethoscope to his chest. "You know, people have done that to me one-hundred billion times."

"Is that so?" The nurse grinned, pulling back. "Any pain, Gerard?"

"Everywhere," Gerard replied, feeling very, very high. "Especially in my heart."

"Your heart?" The nurse asked with concert, and Gerard shook his head. "No, no, no. Not physical pain. Mental pain."

"Emotional pain?" The nurse tried humorously, and Gerard nodded. "Yeah. I like this guy, but I don't think it's ever going to go anywhere, because we're in a fucking mental hospital."

"Well, I wouldn't give up, yet." The nurse said. "I don't work psych, but I'm pretty sure you can't be in relationships up there, can you? Now, you didn't hear this from me, but maybe don't tell anyone except your guy about your love."

"Oh, trust me, everyone knows." A man said, and Gerard tilted his head up to see Dr. J.

"Are you always eavesdropping on me?" Gerard whined, and the nurse flushed bright red. "Dr, J," He said awkwardly. "I didn't see you there."

"It's fine, and don't worry about it." Dr. J brushed him off. "I'm not working right now."

"You're not?" The nurse asked, and Dr. J shook his head. "No. Gerard is my son."

"Well, that sounds fucking weird when you say it out loud." Gerard snorted, and Dr. J looked at the nurse with exasperation. "When's the anesthesia going to wear off?"

"Not for another hour." The nurse smiled helplessly.

"Alright, I'll check back, then." Dr. J replied, and Gerard put his hand up. "Wait, can you get Frank? And tell him I'm alive? And that he'll have to wait to punch me until after I'm better, so like, a week?"

"Gerard," Dr. J said slowly. "I'm sorry no one told you. Frank's leaving tomorrow."

"Bullshit," Gerard shrugged. "He would have told me, duh."

"I guess he didn't," Dr. J replied, waving at Gerard as he left.

✰✰✰

Gerard awoke as the curtain rattled back, revealing three people. His vision swam, and he tried to sit up, but the nurse put a hand on his shoulder, keeping him down. "Gerard's almost back to normal, but he's still coming down a bit from his anesthetics," The nurse warned the people. Was one of them Frank? And Lindsey, and wait, was that –

A laugh. "Oh, I'd love to see that." One of the people cheered. "You go in Frank, we'll wait out here. Probably want him to remember this."

"Remember what?" Gerard asked, but was quickly distracted as Frank walked up to him. "I'll give y'all some space," The nurse said, walking about. "But if anything happens, hit the call button."