Chapter Thirty

"Where's your ho of a boyfriend?" Lindsey asked, but Frank was far too stressed to correct on the fact that Gerard was neither a ho nor his boyfriend.

Well, at least he wasn't Frank's boyfriend. The ho part was up for grabs.

"I don't know!" Frank said between grit teeth as he shoveled down another mouthful of food. He'd been moved out of his assisted eating group and down to the cafeteria with everyone else on his floor, and part of him wished Gerard was down here for the first meal they could have had together. The other half was freaking the fuck out over the fact that Gerard had literally keeled over last night, falling to the floor with a sickening thud.

After that, Frank had screamed, a nurse had rushed in, and he hadn't seen Gerard since.

"Wait, really?" Lindsey asked. "But you two like, always know where each other are. In a very creepy way."

"Yeah, well I don't know where he is now!" Frank snapped.

"What do you mean?" Lindsey asked, so Frank told her everything he could remember.

"So, he's just like, gone?" Lindsey whispered, and Frank snorted. "I have no fucking clue. But I doubt he's gone."

"What if something bad happened?" Lindsey asked, before rushing to add, "Not that anything like that would happen of course, I mean, he's totally fine."

"Jesus, thanks." Frank rolled his eyes. "You're probably right, though. Sure, he passed out and then got taken away and I haven't heard from him since, but yeah, he's definitely doing great."

"Okay, Mr. Salty." Lindsey bumped her foot against his under the table with a mock-kick. "I was trying to be helpful."

"Maybe I should find him myself." Frank said, and Lindsey sat up quickly. "Hey, wasn't Gerard trying to find someone, too?"

"Yeah, his brother, Mikey." Frank nodded. "Why?"

"Because, maybe he went to look for Mikey!" Lindsey said. "Maybe Gerard was actually swell and not dead at all, and was like, 'Ooh, let's go looking for my brother!'"

Frank frowned. "That's unlikely but highly possible at the same time."

"Um, yes, because I'm a genius." She giggled. "C'mon, let's go look for him!"

"Sure, give me a sec." Frank said, showing his empty plate to a passing TA, who signed him off.

"Hey, look at that!" Lindsey grinned. "You finished your food!"

"I did." Frank replied. "I'm still on night feed, though."

"I'm so used to your tube now, it's weird." Lindsey said. "And just you in general. You know, you really freaked me out the first time we met."

"God, thanks." Frank huffed, and Lindsey hugged him. "In the best way possible, Frank."

"Nah, it's okay. I look weird, I get it." He shrugged her off, but Lindsey seemed unaffected.

"Not weird," Lindsey corrected. "Just different. You kind of looked dead when you first came here. Like, your hands shook all the time. But you're better now."

Frank flinched. "I bet I looked far worse at my last hospital."

"You came here from another hospital?" Lindsey asked, and Frank nodded. "Yeah, my heart rate was in the thirties, so I was put on bed-rest twenty-four seven at an emergency room. It sucked."

"Could you like, get up to pee?" Lindsey asked, and Frank shoved her. "Christ, of course that's what you'd wonder about." He laughed. "But, sort of? In the beginning I had to pee in a pan, and then eventually I got the privilege of being wheeled to my toilet."

Lindsey giggled. "Yikes, man, that's horrible!"

"Not as horrible as daily labs," Frank added. "And Acu-Checks seven times a day."

"Seven?" Lindsey asked incredulously, and Frank nodded with a smile, almost forgetting his worries for a moment, before a staff member approached him.

"Frank Iero?" She asked, and Frank raised his brows. "That's me."

"Gerard Way wants to see you," The staff member said, and Lindsey piped up, "Can I come too?"

"No, Mr. Way is only seeing relatives at this time." The staff answered, and Frank scowled. "But I'm not –"

"Shut up!" Lindsey hissed, elbowing him in the ribs. "Ow, fuck!" Frank spat back, before realizing the woman had heard them.

"You're not family?" She asked, and Lindsey shook her head. "No, no, I'm not." Lindsey said earnestly. "But Frank here is Gerard's boyfriend, and if Gerard wanted to see anyone in this world, it's him, trust me."

Frank bit back a retort at Lindsey's words, looking up at the woman and nodding reproachfully as he tried his best to contort his face into a smile. Boyfriend. Alright, fine.

The woman looked skeptical, but eventually shrugged. "Okay," She said. "Let's go."

hsdjkfhm my dad keeps asking me to let him read this book i- fjgkhd

my cat is sitting next to me reading over my shoulder so vote for his sake