Chapter Thirty-Six

oh ho ho we're almost doneeee

"I'm literally this close to crying," Gerard grinned, holding up his forefinger and thumb, pressed together. "You're an idiot." Frank snickered, flicking Gerard's hand and making him smother a laugh. Dr. J and Gerard's doctor were in the room signing paperwork, and Frank was sitting by Gerard's bed. He'd gotten his curfew pushed back an hour, but there were only a few minutes left before he had to go back upstairs.

"My room's going to be really empty without you." Frank said, and Gerard scoffed. "You mean my room. You're leaving tomorrow. I've been living in it for six years without you. I'll probably stay in until I turn eighteen, then I'll get moved to the adult psych ward."

"No, you won't have to worry about that." Dr. J said, cutting into the conversation. "You'll be gone before then."

"I will?" Gerard asked. "Are you sure? When?"

"Once your stiches heal." Dr. J said nonchalantly, but there was a small smile on his face. "Then you're going home."

"Home?" Frank asked, and Dr. J nodded. "With Donna."

"Donna's not my mom." Gerard retorted, and Dr. J shrugged. "Well, legally, she is. Who do you think's been paying for you to be here this whole time?"

"That was her?" Gerard asked, and Frank thought he could hear a hint of admiration in his voice. "She did that for me?"

Dr. J nodded, but Gerard didn't look convinced. "That doesn't chance the fact that you both abandoned me, and gave me to a horrible family."

"You only have to stay with her until you're eighteen." Dr. J pointed out. "Then you're free to go."

"You could get legally emancipated." Frank suggested, but Dr. J shook his head. "That could take months. I don't know if Donna will cover all that time here."

"I'll go." Gerard said quickly, and Frank looked at him, surprised. "Really?" He asked, and Gerard nodded. "What's the worst that could happen? It's been six fucking years; I want to go outside again, and talk to my brother, and have a phone. Plus, its winter now, and my birthday's less than six months away. What's a better time to move than in the spring?"

Frank opened his mouth to answer, but a nurse was in the door. "Frank Iero?" She asked. "It's time to go."

Frank looked over at Gerard as he stood up. "See you."

"Will you?" Gerard asked, and Frank nodded slightly, before turning to the nurse and heading to the elevator.

✰✰✰

Frank lay on his back, fingers locked behind his head as he stared up at the ceiling. The AC was rumbling softly, and Frank mentally cursed it for making his room so cold. He couldn't sleep, partially because of Gerard and all the thoughts he had about leaving, and partially because he was going to sleep later than usual, and thus had to have his feeding tube on a higher level to get it all in by morning.

Swallowing for the thousandth time, Frank sighed, rubbing absentmindedly at the sore on his nose that the tube left behind. With everything happening, he'd forgotten to ask for cream for it and now it hurt like a bitch. The clock read 11:05, and Frank wondered if it was too late to ask for some. Third shift was just coming now, so there was a slight break where only one or two staff were watching after them.

Wrapping his blanket around him, Frank got up, dragging his fluid bag to the door. Maybe he could catch one of the staff members before . . .

Frank paused. No one was here. He could go downstairs to Gerard.