Chapter Thirty-Three

Frank had spent his entire life hiding the fact that he liked guys. He'd hid it from his friends, his family - he'd done such a great job that he had in fact convinced himself of the fact.

But now, both of his boyfriend's parents knew (or rather, two of them did) and Frank supposed that meant the rest of the world should know it too. And so, while Gerard and Donna talked, Frank decided to call his parents.

"Frank?" Frank took the phone from the receptionist, holding it to his ear. "It's me." He answered.

"It's been awhile," His mom's voice came over the line. "How are you?"

"Fine," Frank said curtly. "So you're coming to pick me up?"

"On Thursday, yes." His mom said. "Do you think you could take your tube out by then? Your doctor told me that you had it in, but just eat your meals and try for once, then –"

"You think I'm not trying?" Frank said, unable to hide the hurt in his voice.

"No, you're putting words in my mouth, Frank." She said. "If you just came to berate me, than I suggest we hang up now so I can go back to work. I'm busy, you know."

"I came to tell you I'm dating someone." Frank said.

"Oh?" His mom said. "That's interesting. What's her name?"

"Gerard." Frank said, listening to his mom's stunned silence for a moment before hanging up, and handing back the phone. "Thanks," He muttered.

"Yeah," The reception nodded. Frank wasn't sure if she'd heard the entire conversation or not, but judging by the look on her face, she at least overhead part of it.

✰✰✰

"Tell me if I've got this right," Donna said slowly. "You've been living in a hospital for years, you're gay with an anorexic boyfriend, and you're about to die of liver failure?"

"Yeah, pretty much." Gerard laughed drily. They were in the hospital room again, Donna was sitting on the chair, Dr. J had gone back to work, and Frank with sitting on the floor, on top of his sweatshirt, because there was no way his anorexic ass could take the ground by itself. He'd already eaten his lunch, and had decidedly chosen to not tell Gerard about the call with his mom.

"So, Frank," Donna said, turning to him. "Tell me about yourself. You and Gerard been dating for awhile?"

"No," Frank answered, just as Gerard answered, "Yes."

"Okay," Donna said, looking between the two of them. "That's nice. What if I went and got some lunch?"

"Yeah, go," Gerard said, not unkindly. "What do you think of her?" He asked Frank once she'd left, and Frank shrugged as he took the seat she had been using. "She seems tolerable."

Gerard laughed. "Yeah, I think so too."

Suddenly Dr. J rushed in, a loud beeping coming from his pocket. "Gerard!" he cried, and Gerard looked up at him. "What the Hell is that noise?"

"My pager," Dr. J explained. "Or rather, your pager."

"My pager?" Gerard asked, and Dr. J nodded. "For your liver. You have a donor."

✰✰✰

Frank chewed at his nails, sitting anxiously in the common room. He had expected the surgery to take awhile, but this felt so long. Plus, even after the surgery, Frank would be able to see him for quite a few hours. Lindsey was on pass, so Frank had no one to talk to beside Haley, who was absolutely no help at all when it came to comfort.