Chapter Twenty-One

how is it so hot already what the heCK its not allowed to be summer yet

It didn't take Mikey long to realize he was dreaming again.

He'd been confused for a few moments after he'd awoken in an unusual room, but Mikey recognized the strange feeling this time. Deciding to embrace it, he relaxed and took in the scene. Maybe it would show him something useful. After all, it was his own brain creating these, they must mean something.

"Goddammit," A boy was holding Mikey, hugging him tight. Mikey couldn't see the boy's face as they were too close, but he had little doubt in his mind that it was the boy from the waiting room.

Mikey was surprised when the boy pulled back, revealing no scar on his nose. Mikey studied his face as the boy shook his head slowly. The guy looked the same. . . Mikey guessed he hadn't gotten the scar yet. After all, the boy looked significantly younger here than any other time Mikey had seen him.

But if he didn't have the scar now, then who gave it to him? God, I hope it's not me, Mikey thought suddenly, anxiety welling in his chest. No, this boy seems nice. I really, really, hope I don't do anything to him.

"Fuck, fuck!" The boy swore, keeping one hand on Mikey's shoulder and balling the other into a fist. "They can't do that, Mikey! Fuck," His voice hitched, and Mikey realized the boy was crying. It was only then that he realized he was crying too. What happened to him? Mikey wondered. Why are we crying?

"Fuck's a bad word, Gerard," Mikey heard his dream-self mumble into the sleeve of his jacket, but he had just found something much more important than the fact he was crying. Gerard. The boy's name was Gerard.

✰✰✰

Mikey was staring up at the ceiling, a feat he found himself performing more and more often as the days went on.

His dream had been interrupted by a tech coming to get him for physical therapy, a program Mikey was quickly learning to despise. Fine, he couldn't move very well. That didn't mean it needed to be broadcasted for the entire hospital to see! Mikey swore everyone was watching him no matter where he went in that room. After all, he was the only one with a hospital gown and a paint-balled-neck.

If this was how animals at the zoo felt – trying to mind their own business but never getting a moment alone– Mikey suddenly had a great empathy for them.

There was a knock at the door. "Michael?" Another knock. "Can I come in?"

"Yes," Mikey murmured, keeping the, "You only have to knock once," to himself.

It was Dr. Witt. He walked in swiftly, his pristine white coat and tall posture making Mikey suddenly conscious of his tangled hair and cross-legged sitting position.

"How are you feeling, Michael?" Dr. Witt said his name too often, but Mikey decided not to point it out. "Good."

"I heard you had a bit of an adventure yesterday, huh?"

Mikey stiffened, but continued to pick at his nails. "I-I don't know w-what you mean," Mikey replied, his voice barely above a whisper. The fear in his chest was causing a stutter, and Mikey prayed that it didn't give him away.

Dr. Witt laughed. "It's okay, Michael. I'm not here to lecture you, I'm just bringing in a visitor." He stepped aside to reveal Donna. Mikey hadn't seen her in a few days, and stared blankly back at her attempted smile.

"I'll leave you two to it!" Dr. Witt turned to leave. "But from now on, stay put please, Michael. It's for your own safety." With that, he exited, leaving Mikey and Donna in silence.