Chapter Thirty-One

"You little shit!"

Gerard awoke with a grunt as Frank threw his arms around him, knocking the breath out of his lungs. "Frank!" Gerard said happily. "You're here!"

"Fuck yeah, I am." Frank pulled away from Gerard, punching him on the arm. "Don't you fucking dare do that to me again. Worrying about you requires so much effort."

"I didn't mean to make you worry." Gerard said sympathetically, taking Frank's hands in his. Half because he was madly in love with Frank and wanted nothing more than to hold his hand, half because he didn't want Frank to punch him again.

"What the Hell happened?" Frank asked, motioning to Gerard and all the medical equipment attached to him. "Did you die or something? And for future reference, save your dying for another time, not when we're right about to kiss."

"Dually noted," Gerard grinned. "And I'm not sure what happened. Maybe I sort of died? I don't know, my liver just kind of decided it was done with me."

"Yeah, well I can see where it's coming from!" Frank retorted. "You're kind of difficult to be around."

"You love me," Gerard teased, and Frank shook his head wordlessly. "You're insane."

"I am." Gerard agreed. They were alone now, and although the door was wide open (they were in the emergency room, after all) there was a fair amount of privacy. "Well, I mean, I've got to be."

"What are you talking about?" Frank asked, but Gerard could tell he already knew. "Frank, I wouldn't be here for liver disease." He said plainly. "There's definitely something else wrong."

"Wait," Frank paused. "You mean you don't know why you're here?"

Gerard nodded. "Kind of crazy, right? Although, I've got a few suspicions."

Before Frank could ask what they were, Dr. J walked in. "Sorry to eavesdrop," He began, raising his hands in defense. "But whatever you think, it's wrong."

"What?" Frank jumped up, dropping Gerard's hands. "Where did you come from?" A pause. "Oh, you're Gerard's therapist, aren't you?"

"That's a lot of questions. Well, I just came back from a trip to the water cooler," Dr. J confessed, eyeing Frank's tube. Frank pretended not to notice. "And I suppose you could call me Gerard's therapist."

"You suppose?" Frank asked, confused, and Gerard laughed. "Frank, that's my dad."

"Your dad?" Frank's eyes widened, looking between the two. "Like, the parents that – um, you know," Frank's eyes darted down to the scar on Gerard's nose, and Gerard shook his head quickly. "No, no," He said. "Apparently, those weren't my biological parents."

"Then who the fuck were they?" Frank asked. "And why did you have to live with them?"

"I don't know," Gerard answered, and Dr. J spoke up. "That's just what I was about to answer. Frank, if you wouldn't mind stepping out for a moment –"

"Whatever you're going to tell me, Frank can hear it." Gerard cut in, and Dr. J frowned. "I don't know, Gerard. I was sort of planning on telling you some heavy information."

"And you can," Gerard encouraged. "With Frank here." He took up Frank's hands again, and Frank stiffened slightly.

Oh, right. Gerard reminded himself. He's not 'gay.'