Chapter Thirty-Five

Mikey closed his eyes, breathing deeply through his nose. His elbows rested lightly on the cafeteria table, and his feet were held still.

Bob. It was Bob's liver.

Mikey didn't know Bob had been an organ donor. It was the strangest possible thought that every part of Bob was dead, lying cold in some morgue, but his liver was still alive and functioning in Gerard.

Maybe Bob wasn't completely gone after all.

"Are you okay?" A voice brought Mikey back and he blinked, sitting up quickly. "I think so," He said unsurely, rubbing the back of his neck, and Lindsey looked at him skeptically. "Really? Because you look sick, and haven't touched your food." She pointed out. "Don't tell me you're turning into Frank."

"Excuse you," Frank said loudly, making a point of eating a large mouthful of pasta. "I am eating all my food right now, thank you, Lindsey."

"Are you sure something didn't happen?" Lindsey said, and Frank rolled his eyes. "Jesus Lindsey, the guy just saw his brother for the first time in awhile. He's allowed to sit in silence."

"It's not about Gerard," Mikey said, and Lindsey elbowed Frank in the ribs. "See?" She said dramatically. "I'm always right."

"Fuck off," Frank scoffed, before turning to Mikey. "Okay, then what was it?"

"You don't have to tell us." Lindsey said, before correcting herself. "Never mind, I'm too curious, you do."

"Uh," Mikey looked from Lindsey, to Frank, then back to his feet. "You know my friend Bob?"

Lindsey knew right away, her jaw dropping open. "No fucking way." She exclaimed, putting her hands down on the table. "No way."

"No way what?" Frank asked, and Lindsey shook her head. "Mikey's friends with Gerard's donor."

"You are?" Frank asked, before his face turned from interested to sympathetic. "Oh shit, does that mean . . . your friend Bob . . ?" Frank trailed off, and Mikey swallowed, nodding. "Yeah. He's dead."

"Hey," Frank said, putting his hand on Mikey's shoulder. "Bob saved Gerard's ass, okay? Life's shit, and it sucks that he had to die, but without Bob you never would have met your brother."

"Really?" Mikey asked, and Frank took his hand off his shoulder, looking him in the eye. "Definitely."

Suddenly Donna walked over, and the three turned to look at her as she awkwardly waved. Mikey noticed Frank wrinkling his nose a bit, and wondered if the boy didn't like her.

"Hey, Mikey," Donna started. "I think we should talk. Is now an alright time?"

"Yes." Mikey nodded, standing up, but Frank put his hand up. "Wait, where should we find you after?"

"That's not important." Donna cut in. "If you have must, you'll figure it out after. C'mon," She began walking off, and Mikey trailed off after her, catching Lindsey and Frank as they exchanged glances.

Donna led him into the back hallway of the cafeteria, up the hall from the restrooms. They sat on a pair of chairs in front of a coffee table, Mikey wrapping his arms about himself self-consciously.

"Is everything alright?" Donna asked, and Mikey replied, "Yes," automatically.

"Okay," Donna said. "I'm going to get straight to the point, Mikey. I love you. I really do, and I'm sorry things have been so difficult these past few months. That being said, I don't know you, either." She paused, taking a deep breath. "But I want to. You haven't had the home you deserve, and I don't think I can give it to you, but I'm asking you to try."

"Try?" Mikey repeated, and Donna nodded. "You're being discharged. Your team thinks you're ready to go home."

"Today?" Mikey breathed, surprised.

"Since last week." Donna replied. "I have all your meds already, and you've technically been checked out since this morning, but I wasn't sure," She trailed off. "They're letting Gerard go too, two weeks from now. I'm not sure if he'll want to come or not since he's almost eighteen."

"I'm sure he will," Mikey said, and Donna looked at him. "You think so?"

"I know so." Mikey smiled. "I'm ready to go home."

✰✰✰

"You're going home?" Lindsey gasped, and Mikey nodded.

"Wait, right now?" Frank asked, shaking his head. "Mikey, that's great news!"

"I hope I'll see you both again." Mikey said genuinely, and Lindsey hit him on the arm. "We live so close, you better see me again!" She teased, and Mikey glanced at Frank. "Are you going to my school, too?"

"No," Frank smiled sadly. "I'm moving to, uh, Kentucky."

"Oh," Mikey said, before Lindsey grabbed him, hugging him tight. "I can't believe you're leaving so soon. We haven't even had a full day together!"

"Tell Gerard bye for me." Mikey said, detaching himself from Lindsey as he looked over at Donna. It was dark outside now, and Mikey wondered what it would be like seeing his new (or old) house at night.

"We will." Lindsey promised, and Mikey waved to her. "See you soon."

She grinned, waving both arms as he walked off. "Bye, Mikey!"

OK I NEED TO SLOW DOWN I'VE WRITTEN LIKE 753892574 CHAPTERS THIS MONTH BUT THIS IS SO CLOSE TO BEING DONE AND FSJGHF

VOTE FOR SPIDER RIGHTS